Injured ranger

SandraMort

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
ny
I've got a ranger with a hurt leg. I don't see any blood, but he won't put weight on it. He's too small to process (6 weeks and on the smaller end of the spectrum) so I'm trying to decide what to do. Can I bring him into the house and put him in the brooder with the layers? It's divided into two sections, so I could put him in the smaller section and the babies could come visit him or escape if he got mean.

I think I'd try that, and see how it works out. Do you have any cages or dog crates or anything?

How does it look? is there any swelling or anything on the straight part of the leg? Many years ago, a friend had an Aracauna roo she was very attached to, and he broke a leg, just above the foot. She wanted to try fixing him. He also had a sore near the break that was infected. She speculated that maybe he'd gotten stepped on by one of her horses. We cleaned the wound with peroxide, put an herbal disinfectant on it and rubbed it with arnica gel. I put a drawing salve on gauze pads to draw out the infection. I tried to set the bone, but wasn't able to. So I padded the leg, and splinted it with popsicle sticks, wrapped in vet-wrap, that stretchy bandage that sticks to itself. I went over and changed the bandage and put on fresh ointments and arnica gel everyday for about a week. He healed, to my surprise, and lived a good many more years, and got around just fine.

If you can't locate the injury, and it doesn't get better with a couple of days isolation and rest, I'd go ahead and butcher him. Just so he's not suffering. Good luck!

My "brooder" consists of two dog crates that are side by side with a heat lamp over them and plastic mesh preventing any birdlets from leaving. I put the older two pullets in the larger cage with the babies, put the injured ranger in the smaller cage and the little ones have the option of staying safely with the little mamas or visiting the meat bird if they like. I can't find anything wrong so I'll just let him rest and see if he gets better.

Quote:
Well I guess both of us are crazy, because I was thinking the exact same thing before I read your post. SandraMort~~ I would try and use a popsicle stick and duct tape and make a good splint. Try to keep the rounded edges of the popsicle stick at the top so it will not irritate the upper leg. Also you can tear the tape in small strips that will be easy to use. You may need two or three sticks for this. This will make its leg sturdy.

You might have to help him to water and food if you do this. i have done this on one of my chickens and it works really good.

The little guy is sitting peacefully with the babies coming to visit. His food and water are close enough so he doesn't have to move if he doesn't want to. I'd rather not mess with splinting it if I don't have to, since I can't find the injury.

I haven't seen him move but he's in different spots when I check on him. When I pick him up, he pulls his foot in to his chest.

Back
Top Bottom