Injured rooster

He might have scratched his face. You need to be getting some saline eye wash in his eye, and applying some Terramycin eye ointment or Neosporin. He cannot see out of either eye. Clean any pus out, and treat 2-3 times a day. He possibly could have lost the left eye, but I hope not. Hold a small cup up to his beak several times a day, and give him some wet chicken feed mush. I second the fact that they need to be separated. You may want to keep the other guy if he is blinded by this injury.
Thank you so much, I cleaned his eyes out with wet q tips since we don’t have any saline and underneath his good eye he can see perfectly fine. However, the stuff in his good eye keeps coming back even after I cleaned it out and I don’t know what to do or what’s wrong. I can’t see any scratches, I’ve cleaned out both eyes, and I’ve applied neosporin generously for the past few days now.

I would keep up cleaning his eyes. You can make sterile saline by adding 2 tsp of table salt to a quart of water. Bring to a boil, turn down to simmer for 15 minutes on low. Cool and pour it in a clean jar. It may take a week or so for the eyes to improve. Make sure no other chickens bother his eye.

Back
Top Bottom