Injured Turkey: found large old wound

Hmmm, I might be inclined to use AluShield on a wound like this in addition to other products. It's an aerosol bandage that puts a protective silver coating over wounds without drying as much as BluKote does. It will keep out dirt while still allowing it to breathe and it can be applied over a fine layer of neosporin or moisturizing ointment.

You should be able to find it at farm supply places and maybe bigger walmarts in the pet section. If you find the silver doesn't prevent picking, though it should, you could lay down a good coat of AluShield, wait for it to dry and set, then give it a lighter "cover" spray with Blu-Kote for the color. The AluShield will help the healing and keep the Blu-kote on the surface and the purple color should (should) reduce self picking.

AluShield has terrific staying power and I started using it after my vet introduced it to me.

Yep, you could try initially just the AluShield, but if you want more moisture then do the neosporin first. Thin layer!
The BluKote is only needed if she still picks at it with the AluShield. Think of it as "purple paint" to trick her into not seeing the injury. Feel free to try what you think would work better, but I think the AluShield will be the best overall treatment.
Link is just for more info, you can probably find it locally-

AluShield

Back
Top Bottom