1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured wild duck death - why!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mae2812, Dec 24, 2016.

1. mae2812

mae2812 New Egg

Dec 24, 2016
    You
    Hi I actually found a wild duck by the road today it looked injured as it couldn't lift it's wings off the ground and was struggling to walk. It was clearly distressed however I approached it carefully, wrapped my Tshirt around it and picked it up to take it to a vet. Once I picked it up it seemed relaxed and comfortable however on the way to the vet it seemed to fade away and it died within 10 minutes. There were no visible wounds and I'm wondering how it may have died? Could I have scared it to death by picking it up?

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

No, it probably had internal injuries....Possibly hit by a car.......Nice of you to be with the Duck as it passed......

Merry Christmas

Cheers!

3. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

x2 - it's unlikely the stress of handling was the cause. It sounded like it was in bad shape when you found it. Sorry to hear that it didn't make it.

Thank you for trying to help...may you be rewarded with good karma for your kindness.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] As the others have said, the duck was either physically injured or suffering from terminal illness when you found it. Thanks for trying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by