Injured wing

ps23tlims

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 1, 2013
I noticed today one of my girls had one of her wings hanging done, upon further inspection I noticed a very foul odor, which smelt like death, more to the point rotting flesh, yuck. I picked up her wing only to find out something had attacked her also (I lost three girls to something unknown). She is injured to the bone, it is exposed. What can I do to help her? She appears fine other wise, eating very well and if I didn't notice her wing I would have thought nothing of it because she is acting normal. Thank you for your help in advance. The other girls aren't attacking her or bothering her in any way, so I left her with the rest of the flock.

The odor suggests infection. You need to clean it thoroughly. I'd use diluted betadine or chlorhexidine (Novalsan).
Remove any dirt or feathers sticking to the wound. You need to isolate her so that the wound stays clean. Then since there is odor, I'd definitely apply some plain neosporin ointment (w/o pain med). After the initial cleaning I'd use vetericyn spray for any subsequent cleanings, if necessary, and reapply the neosporin. You need to monitor for any signs of more, or continued infection, which might require an antibiotic. I would not let her back out with the rest of the chickens until she's healed.

The odor suggests infection. You need to clean it thoroughly. I'd use diluted betadine or chlorhexidine (Novalsan).
Remove any dirt or feathers sticking to the wound. You need to isolate her so that the wound stays clean. Then since there is odor, I'd definitely apply some plain neosporin ointment (w/o pain med). After the initial cleaning I'd use vetericyn spray for any subsequent cleanings, if necessary, and reapply the neosporin. You need to monitor for any signs of more, or continued infection, which might require an antibiotic. I would not let her back out with the rest of the chickens until she's healed.
X2. Good luck , and I hope she recovers. If you think her wing may be broken, a figure 8 bandage might help splint it. Here is how to do that:
http://www.starlingtalk.com/fractures.htm

Back
Top Bottom