Injury, Canker, or Oral Yeast infection?

Jim would a yeast infection cause a pocket though?
I see infection in the choanal slit too. I would try to get meds and go ahead an treat her.
If you're worried about egg withdrawal periods, then pen her separately. It may be a good idea to do that anyway since you're not sure if it's yeast infection or canker, you don't want it to spread to all your other birds through shared water and feed stations.
View attachment 2976249
She ate corn before the pictures were taken. I saw that in her mouth too in the picture.

I see infection in the choanal slit too. I would try to get meds and go ahead an treat her.
If you're worried about egg withdrawal periods, then pen her separately. It may be a good idea to do that anyway since you're not sure if it's yeast infection or canker, you don't want it to spread to all your other birds through shared water and feed stations.
View attachment 2976249
I don't have a pen for her right now, & the crate I have is too large for the coop.

Just to make sure, I'm gonna have a look in her mouth tomorrow, & see if it's still there.
That's a good idea.
The pocket is a bit concerning to me, you can see the tissue breaking down on the outside of her beak.

1643430847210.jpeg

Living in Michigan, dont you ever get infected lips from the cold? It starts from a split lip, and can become infected. It looks like a deepening wound that needs some lip balm, petroleum jelly, or some other antimicrobial protection.

I had a chronic infected lower lip working in -30 wind chill that i had to constantly keep covered or else it would tear again, and the longer it was uncovered the more it looked like the wound in your picture. Exhaling moist air in the cold ensured it would never heal.

You could dab some hydrogen peroxide on it and protect it from the cold with some petroleum jelly.

View attachment 2976249

Doesnt look like corn, but it looks like a normal mouth sore.

Living in Michigan, dont you ever get infected lips from the cold? It starts from a split lip, and can become infected. It looks like a deepening wound that needs some lip balm, petroleum jelly, or some other antimicrobial protection.

I had a chronic infected lower lip working in -30 wind chill that i had to constantly keep covered or else it would tear again, and the longer it was uncovered the more it looked like the wound in your picture. Exhaling moist air in the cold ensured it would never heal.

You could dab some hydrogen peroxide on it and protect it from the cold with some petroleum jelly.

I have never had an infected lip due to the cold.

That's a good idea.
The pocket is a bit concerning to me, you can see the tissue breaking down on the outside of her beak.

View attachment 2976334
There was a scab in that spot the day before. Someone must've pecked it, she had alittle blood on her feathers that covers her ear hole on that same side yesterday.

This is true for humans, but not chickens. For chickens, it's a specific disease or an injury.
Respiratory diseases in humans can be treated and cured. Chickens can be treated, but are never cured of the disease. They remain carriers for life and will spread the disease to other birds, including canker mainly via waterers in this instance if in fact it's canker.

Back
Top Bottom