Injury or cooties?

Before and after treatment this morning. She can open her eye fully, but me trying to get pictures of her with a purpose and she won't. 🙄🙄🙄 It's not wet like it was, or dripping wet. It looks like it with the saline and antibiotic ointment but it's dry until treating.
It looks a little better, I agree, I would aggressively treat the eye, wash the crusty material away and out of her feathers too.
I know it can be difficult to do, but it really helps to clean the material away. I had a tiny Quail with injury to the eye and boy was that challenge to wash his eye 2X a day, he was a wiggler:)
I would be pretty aggressively treating this twice a day, so that it doesn’t get worse. Wash the crusty drainage off the feathers with a damp wash cloth. I would probably go ahead and order Tylosin powder for the water from Jedds.com. to treat for MG. Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water, or 1/4 tsp per quart for 5 days. Here is a link:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder

It looks a little better, I agree, I would aggressively treat the eye, wash the crusty material away and out of her feathers too.
I know it can be difficult to do, but it really helps to clean the material away. I had a tiny Quail with injury to the eye and boy was that challenge to wash his eye 2X a day, he was a wiggler:)

The crusties I was finally able to wipe away this morning! After putting her back out with her flockmates, she had her eye open fully. It looks a little swollen and off still, but she was extra squinty while I held her. I might ask my neighbor to help me either hold her or to cut her beard feathers. The other side has her beard poking up into her eye it's so thick.

Attachments

• 20231208_075528.jpg
    20231208_075528.jpg
    622.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231208_075527.jpg
    20231208_075527.jpg
    600.9 KB · Views: 5
Yea, make sure some gets into her eye itself, which is where it works to treat infection. Tylosin powder given orally, can treat her symptoms if she has MG. It is good to keep around in case others become symptomatic.

This morning, before treatment.

Today after getting feed out I noticed the older hens that are the leaders have been extra spicy with the younger hens. Three different areas to eat from but over protective of the food source.

Attachments

• 20231209_082657.jpg
    20231209_082657.jpg
    593.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20231209_082652.jpg
    20231209_082652.jpg
    600.1 KB · Views: 3
The Tylosin link I posted in post 5 is a good source, and good to have around if she or another have more symptoms. Theirs is 99% Tylosin, unlike some others. Her eyes are looking more clear.

The Tylosin link I posted in post 5 is a good source, and good to have around if she or another have more symptoms. Theirs is 99% Tylosin, unlike some others. Her eyes are looking more clear.
I plan on getting some to keep around but I also don't want to medicate if it's not needed. We have mRSA due to over use of medication and antibiotics, and I don't want to give my chickens something similar.

Back
Top Bottom