Injury or Neurological Issue?

Last night I made this shoe for Bridge. It seems to work pretty well. She can use this until a manufactured shoe arrives. It doesn’t seem to bother her as much as the vet wrap by itself.

I also trimmed her toenails a little after taking the photo. I didn’t want to go too far, as I nicked the quick on Roxy recently. She’s still on the B-complex, as well.

IMG_8019.jpeg

IMG_8018.jpeg

I have a brahma hen, who has symptoms of occular Marek's, and she walks like yours, and has walked like this for a couple of years. Her walking with the high step and occasional stumbling onset was around the same time as when I saw eye changes. I have assumed in my bird that it's Marek's affecting the nerve in that leg, but won't know for sure til she passes and is necropsied. Honestly, I expected it to progress and to have lost her long ago, but that hasn't happened. So just wanted to say that it could be a Marek's symptom, and you did mention a previous finding in one of your birds. It also could be something else, vitamin supplements are certainly warranted to try. Age could be affecting her absorption of nutrients also. My brahma will be 12 years old this April. She's also slowing down, so age, or the virus, may be catching up to her. Her other leg/foot seems fine also, and in my birds case it hasn't affected her flock status, ability to do normal activities or feed. Since yours has also got curling or non reacting toes, I think the shoe is a great idea. When, at some point, (hopefully a long time from now) she passes, or if you figure out what it is/was, I hope you'll update this thread.

I have a brahma hen, who has symptoms of occular Marek's, and she walks like yours, and has walked like this for a couple of years. Her walking with the high step and occasional stumbling onset was around the same time as when I saw eye changes. I have assumed in my bird that it's Marek's affecting the nerve in that leg, but won't know for sure til she passes and is necropsied. Honestly, I expected it to progress and to have lost her long ago, but that hasn't happened. So just wanted to say that it could be a Marek's symptom, and you did mention a previous finding in one of your birds. It also could be something else, vitamin supplements are certainly warranted to try. Age could be affecting her absorption of nutrients also. My brahma will be 12 years old this April. She's also slowing down, so age, or the virus, may be catching up to her. Her other leg/foot seems fine also, and in my birds case it hasn't affected her flock status, ability to do normal activities or feed. Since yours has also got curling or non reacting toes, I think the shoe is a great idea. When, at some point, (hopefully a long time from now) she passes, or if you figure out what it is/was, I hope you'll update this thread.
THANK YOU so much for this feedback. I do fear it could be Marek’s and will try to keep things as stress-free and healthful as I can. It makes me hopeful to hear your Brahma has been fine for a couple years like this. My crested cream leg bar has an iris that is not perfectly circular and it’s been like that for some time. And she’s only 3 1/2. She has trouble putting shells on eggs and I do wonder if that could be related.

I used to always send my birds in for necropsy at UC Davis after they passed. The last couple I just buried at home because it was pretty sure I knew what it was (cancer in both of them). When it comes Bridge’s time, I may consider necropsy.

Quick update. I don’t know what it means exactly, but I was mistaken when I said Bridge cannot curl her toes. This morning when I took her down from the roost, I placed my hand under both feet, and both of her feet grasped my hand. She still cannot flex it dorsally, however. She did pretty well with her little homemade shoe yesterday, though it wants to slip off. I did not put it on today since I’m at work. I plan to work a half day and I’ll put it on when I’m home. Yesterday she had a good time following me around as I overturned the damp soil and exposed worms. The chickens had a field day!

Last night I made this shoe for Bridge. It seems to work pretty well. She can use this until a manufactured shoe arrives. It doesn’t seem to bother her as much as the vet wrap by itself.

I also trimmed her toenails a little after taking the photo. I didn’t want to go too far, as I nicked the quick on Roxy recently. She’s still on the B-complex, as well.

View attachment 3752216

View attachment 3752217
That's a nifty shoe. Cardboard base?

While I wait for a boot from my wonderful friend @RoyalChick, I ordered this one from Amazon. It took me a few tries to figure out how to get it to fit her. But it turned out to be a no-go, anyway.

So I let her run around for a while without it and she did pretty well.

Here she is actually using it to scratch a little:

But here you can see it’s still pretty limp and tender:

After they played for a while, Bridge slowed down and got inactive. I pulled her up onto my lap and noticed that her bad foot was warm and the other foot was cold. So maybe it’s an injury after all. And maybe she’s even healing a little? I will continue with the vitamin B complex, anyway. Today I gave her the B complex along with 100mg of riboflavin by itself.

Hey Michelle - a few things.
The one I am sending you is very like your Amazon one (just a different color). I think I mentioned that it is quite distressing initially before they learn how to use it.
That said, watching your latest videos I don't think I would put a boot on her at all. She does have function in most muscle groups - she uses most of them to try and get rid of the boot! And if it is an injury like a sprain, then physical therapy - i.e., using her leg - will be the best therapy.
And she does seem to be getting around OK even if she tires easily.
My inclination would be some gentle anti-inflammatory like aspirin and let her do her thing.
Did you mention you can get a vet to look at her? I would be very interested in a vet's view of her leg.

Hey Michelle - a few things.
The one I am sending you is very like your Amazon one (just a different color). I think I mentioned that it is quite distressing initially before they learn how to use it.
That said, watching your latest videos I don't think I would put a boot on her at all. She does have function in most muscle groups - she uses most of them to try and get rid of the boot! And if it is an injury like a sprain, then physical therapy - i.e., using her leg - will be the best therapy.
And she does seem to be getting around OK even if she tires easily.
My inclination would be some gentle anti-inflammatory like aspirin and let her do her thing.
Did you mention you can get a vet to look at her? I would be very interested in a vet's view of her leg.
Thanks, RC. This one is like heavy duty canvas with wire inside. It is flexible. I think the one you are sending me is a molded plastic? Anyway, I tend to agree with you. She might be better without the boot for now. I’m wondering if she suddenly got worse lately from the day that I was late letting them out and she jumped down from the roost herself.

Here she is a little later in the day today when she was more sore or tired, or whatever. The foot is pretty much just collapsing under itself.

Last edited:
Thanks, RC. This one is like heavy duty canvas with wire inside. It is flexible. I think the one you are sending me is a molded plastic? Anyway, I tend to agree with you. She might be better without the boot for now. I’m wondering if she suddenly got worse lately from the day that I was late letting them out and she jumped down from the roost herself.

Here she has a little later in the day today when she was more sore or tired, or whatever. The foot is pretty much just collapsing under itself.
Poor Bridge. Yes, something to keep her toes straight when she gets tired so she doesn’t get sores on the top of her foot.more like a foot plate than a boot.
And yes, what’s on its way to you is rigid plastic. And I really wish USPS tracking gave more info than ‘in transit to destination on time’!

Back
Top Bottom