Injury

This morning about 6 a.m. before the sun came up I believe opossum attacked my chickens in their coop they all came out and one of them is missing all their tail feathers and has a bloody behind. She's walking around fine. She won't let me catch her. The Coop door was accidentally left open last night.

I went and bought some vetericyn. But I can't even get her to let me spray her wound with it. Two of my chickens let me pick him up all the time and then the other two run. I think I may have to wait for her to go to roost this evening and grab her and put her in the house in a dog kennel. Any pointers on trying to catch her?
You need to try to catch her so you can take a closer look. Call them over for treats, hopefully you can get her.

Since you have Vetericyn, that will be just fine. Flush the wound very well first, you can use soapy water, saline, hibiclens, betadine -whatever you have on hand. Dry her a bit, then apply your Vetericyn.

Take a good close look at the wound to determine how much damage there is - is it just the tail feathers ripped out or is her vent damaged too.
When you have time, more photos would be good.

Keep us posted.

You need to try to catch her so you can take a closer look. Call them over for treats, hopefully you can get her.

Since you have Vetericyn, that will be just fine. Flush the wound very well first, you can use soapy water, saline, hibiclens, betadine -whatever you have on hand. Dry her a bit, then apply your Vetericyn.

Take a good close look at the wound to determine how much damage there is - is it just the tail feathers ripped out or is her vent damaged too.

Keep us posted.
This^^^
Catch her for a good look with pics before advising.
Might be nothing.

I was able to catch Idalene. I have her in a dog crate in the house. I sprayed the wound with Vetericyn plus. I heard the bluecote would sting her wound. How long do I have to keep her separated? Suprisingly she seems really strong. She was roosting on top of my chain link fence. That's how I was able to catch her. She never flies up there.

Keep us posted.
I will take another picture in the morning. I believe her vent is okay.

Is the other one on the ground ok? She looks like she may be ill. The one with no butt looks like a tough girl. I can see fight and life in her eyes so that's a excellent sign.
That is Cha Cha. She has been laying around like that for weeks. What do you think is wrong?

I was able to catch Idalene. I have her in a dog crate in the house. I sprayed the wound with Vetericyn plus. I heard the bluecote would sting her wound. How long do I have to keep her separated? Suprisingly she seems really strong. She was roosting on top of my chain link fence. That's how I was able to catch her. She never flies up there.
How long to keep her separated is up to you after you evaluate the damage and her behavior.

If you put her back with the others, you still need to check/monitor the wound daily ( a couple of times if possible) and apply the Vetericyn. The BluKote would also hide redness, this would hopefully deter the other from picking at her wound. It might sting for a minute, but is very good.

How long to keep her separated is up to you after you evaluate the damage and her behavior.

If you put her back with the others, you still need to check/monitor the wound daily ( a couple of times if possible) and apply the Vetericyn. The BluKote would also hide redness, this would hopefully deter the other from picking at her wound. It might sting for a minute, but is very good.
Thank you so much.

15392697261043613156921330386661.jpg
I think she might have stood in the same place all night. She's not moving around in the cage.

Back
Top Bottom