Input requested on Kennel protection

minasmom

In the Brooder
May 17, 2021
Hello all,

We recently moved to a pretty forested area and have got some baby chickens and ducklings growing up in our garage. Because we have coyotes, mountain lions, foxes, bears and who knows what else out here. I want to make sure that I protect them as well as I can so was hoping for some advice on what additional things I should do to what I have purchased so far.

I have purchased 2 10 x 10 kennels shown in the picture
Kennel.jpg

along with the roof in the picture, which clips on
Roof.png

The panels pictured will cover 5' on each side of the cages and an entire 10' section on the back, making a u shape area that is covered on the outside.
SidePanels.jpg

Inside the cage they each have EGLU coops which are supposed to be predator proof.
EGLU.PNG

The chickens have the one with the ladder and the ducks have one on the ground. During the night they will be in those. They will never be let out of the kennels unsupervised, because in addition to the wild animals, neighbors also let their dogs run free.

I am definitely going to do hardware cloth along the door, and up the corners of the cage- do I need to add hardware cloth all along the outside perimeter? I plan on lining the inside perimeter bottom of the cage with 2x4 boards dug down a couple of inches. Should I also make a wire apron along the outside perimeter? Do you think I should cover the top of the kennel with hardware cloth before clamping on the roof?

Any advice is appreciated!

Because of the holes size on those fence panels, many here would suggest you add HC along the whole perimeter, at least 2-3ft high - this is so raccoons can't team up and scare your flock to a corner, where another simply reaches in to grab one and yank it through those holes.

If you're leaving it in a permanent location, I'd consider using cinder block caps or pavers instead of the 2x4s on the bottom since they don't rot, also might be cheaper than wood these days, lol. The anti-dig skirt would also be a smart idea too.

In regard to the top - it may be ok for a while, but I'd imagine an animal would eventually be able to chew their way into fabric, especially once it's brittle from UV exposure.

Because of the holes size on those fence panels, many here would suggest you add HC along the whole perimeter, at least 2-3ft high - this is so raccoons can't team up and scare your flock to a corner, where another simply reaches in to grab one and yank it through those holes.

If you're leaving it in a permanent location, I'd consider using cinder block caps or pavers instead of the 2x4s on the bottom since they don't rot, also might be cheaper than wood these days, lol. The anti-dig skirt would also be a smart idea too.

In regard to the top - it may be ok for a while, but I'd imagine an animal would eventually be able to chew their way into fabric, especially once it's brittle from UV exposure.
Thank you for your reply. Would I set the cage on top of the cinder blocks or line the inside perimeter with them?

I'd replace the fabric on the top with tin.
Sorry about the questions, but I am the handy one in our house so I need to understand lol. I assume you are referring to the corrugated sheets? Do those need to be tilted at all for rain/snow? And how would you attach those?

Yes I would use corrugated tin. Metal would be my first choice but the clear or green tinted fiberglass would work also. Allow them to follow the pitch of the frame work there to allow the water to shed. You might have to broom off the snow, don't really have that issue where I'm at. Without knowing the structure under the fabric I would screw some 1x2 to the top, middle, and bottom of the frame. Screw the tin to that.

Not something you really have to worry about this year but that fabric will decay over time. The tin is more permanent.

Yes I would use corrugated tin. Metal would be my first choice but the clear or green tinted fiberglass would work also. Allow them to follow the pitch of the frame work there to allow the water to shed. You might have to broom off the snow, don't really have that issue where I'm at. Without knowing the structure under the fabric I would screw some 1x2 to the top, middle, and bottom of the frame. Screw the tin to that.

Not something you really have to worry about this year but that fabric will decay over time. The tin is more permanent.
Ok, Awesome! I think I will save that for a next Spring project then haha. Already so much to do for my chickies.

Back
Top Bottom