1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

insect eggs on eggs?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChickenCat, Jan 12, 2011.

1. ChickenCat

ChickenCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    Today I found a large patch of insect "eggs" on one of my eggs. I'm confused as to what they would be. The temps are 10 to 15 degrees, so it's not flies, but I do have house sparrows flying in and out of the hen house. Please don't tell me it is mites or lice cysts on the egg. [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Are you sure it isn't extra calcium bumps? Are they chalky? Do they rub off?

3. ChickenCat

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    A thought just hit me, worms wouldn't (couldn't ) lay egg cysts on eggs before they pass out of their body? I've never wormed my flock.[​IMG]

4. ChickenCat

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    Quote:Nope, they weren't extra calcium!! It was actually very tiny round cysts all laid smoothly side by side in a clump size of a quarter.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I bet it's a cluster of extra calcium. I've had those that do really look like clusters of insect eggs and other formations. No lice/mites in my flock. No, worms don't lay eggs on the eggs like that. A picture would help confirm what it is, though.

6. ChickenCat

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    Quote:And yes, they rubbed off very easily!! I should have taken a picture but I didn't want my DH to see it cause he's freaky about anything on or in his food. He saw worms in the brocolli plants and won't touch it now and he loved it before.

7. LittleFeat

LittleFeat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    I've recently found the same type thing but I've also noticed little tiny specks that look the same INSIDE the egg. Could this be some type of parasite??? They do look just like you described but these are floating in the albumen typically near the little white membrane (I think called the chalaza?) I've got some in a baggie to take to my vet Saturday. I want to know what it is before I eat any of these eggs!

8. ChickenCat

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    Quote:If it happens again I will definitely get a picture.
    Thanks

9. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Calcium Carbonate. Still unable to find any research on the actual method of deposition of the particular form (casts from tissues of oviduct?), though exogenous deposition is common (bigzio was right on that point - in thread, below):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=32521&p=1

(of course, it would be more interesting if they really are `insect eggs' at those temps)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by