insect eggs on eggs?

ChickenCat

Songster
10 Years
Mar 1, 2009
craig county, VA
Today I found a large patch of insect "eggs" on one of my eggs. I'm confused as to what they would be. The temps are 10 to 15 degrees, so it's not flies, but I do have house sparrows flying in and out of the hen house. Please don't tell me it is mites or lice cysts on the egg.
he.gif

I bet it's a cluster of extra calcium. I've had those that do really look like clusters of insect eggs and other formations. No lice/mites in my flock. No, worms don't lay eggs on the eggs like that. A picture would help confirm what it is, though.

Quote:
And yes, they rubbed off very easily!! I should have taken a picture but I didn't want my DH to see it cause he's freaky about anything on or in his food. He saw worms in the brocolli plants and won't touch it now and he loved it before.

I've recently found the same type thing but I've also noticed little tiny specks that look the same INSIDE the egg. Could this be some type of parasite??? They do look just like you described but these are floating in the albumen typically near the little white membrane (I think called the chalaza?) I've got some in a baggie to take to my vet Saturday. I want to know what it is before I eat any of these eggs!

Back
Top Bottom