1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Inside run suggestions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by babsi, Sep 7, 2016.

1. babsi

babsi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2016
    Beautiful NW
    As you can see we are hard at work to make our coop. We had a pergola in an odd spot so it's now the coop. The whole thing will be fenced in. The ground is dirt and we added old grass we had to remove. Is that ok? Some weeds and grass pieces are long and I heard that can be a problem? The run will be 95%dirt though. Thoughts?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Looks like a beautiful set up. It looks like it is covered. Still it it will become muddy with time which will present a whole host of issues. One idea might be sand. Lots of folks use it and it keep the run drier. Great set up...good luck to you!

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I use sand in my run and in my coop...Easy to clean...In the coop I have a dropping board and sand on the floor. I use a kitty litter scoop to clean the poop.
    Out in the run, sand also...I use a rake and a tiller to keep that clean...No smell....

5. treefrogging

treefrogging Just Hatched

Sep 8, 2016
    That looks really nice! Was wondering the same thing about long grass...we mowed our lawn down but left the long grass when we built our outdoor run last weekend. They haven't been out in it yet as we haven't quite finished it. Maybe long grass is okay for older chickens, but I read that young chicks shouldn't have it because they might choke?

6. chickens really

Pulling long grass for your birds is not good...Free ranging and allowing them to peck off pieces is fine....I never had a problem with grass...The grass in the posted pen is no issue...

Cheers...

7. babsi

babsi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2016
    Beautiful NW
    Thanks for the clarification on the grass!

8. chickens really

Your welcome....Chickens were free ranged long before penned up..They will be fine!

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by