install a window close to the roost is good or not?

Depends on what you mean by "close". If it allows a draft on a nesting or roosting bird, then no. If it provides ventilation above their heads, and is appropriately predator protected, then yes.

Apart from nesting behaviors, which seem to favor dark corners, overhangs, and otherwise protected "spaces", I've seen no evidence that chickens dislike having a window "behind them" while they sleep. Many of mine, when the weather is good, choose to sleep on the roof of my coop - or its door. That's about as open and exposed as you can imagine.

I am just wondering is it a good or bad idea to install a window close to the roost? Does the chicken feel more secure with a solid wall behind them?
I have roost height windows and the birds love them open in the summer.
2CAA8E144C7F_1578235491412.png

I also have roost height windows. I close them in temps below 40° and if we are having windy wet storms in winter. In summer they remain open 24-7.

It is critical to include adequate ventilation in addition to any windows that way if windows are closed venting is still enough to remove moisture.

I also have roost height windows. I close them in temps below 40° and if we are having windy wet storms in winter. In summer they remain open 24-7.

It is critical to include adequate ventilation in addition to any windows that way if windows are closed venting is still enough to remove moisture.

*nods*

I think it confuses people who are new to chickens that there are two kinds of ventilation:

The permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation that is never closed is the part where that 1 square foot per hen guideline applies. This is where the "draft-free" part is necessary in most climates.

The supplemental ventilation that is adjusted according to the weather conditions and seasons. This is where roost-level ventilation for hot weather comes into play.

Back
Top Bottom