Installed a automatic chicken door

jafo I was thinking along the same line. Possibly putting a 2x4 in front of the door on the floor. But I do know how crafty those coons can be. I was once told if a 5 year old child can figure a way into your coop then so can a coon.

I just went to town, looking for either a piece of diamond plate aluminium or a large teflon cutting board. I'm thinking the cutting board, because it's thicker (thermal qualities) and slide easier. I found some 3 sided channel, 1/2 " wide. so all I need is the "door" of either type. For that I hafta go to the BIG town. I like the idea of no place for a coon to slip his fingers into.
wink.png
When I made the coops pop doors, I cut them 2 inches off the floor. The hole's 10 x 14, and right now the flap for the door is 18 x 12 so it overlaps on the outside, then I "framed it out" with 2 x 3's. = no drafts. With any luck I'll have 'er done by Tues.

Last edited:
Because I love gadgets, I set this system up, too. The day that I finally got a timer hooked up to the motor, though, I had a family emergency and didn't get home until late. I was glad to see the door had come down, but was dismayed when it didn't come up in the morning. Seems the counter weight had gotten caught when sending the door down and the motor now isn't working. Darn it. That umbrella motor looks promising, too. I should've used the eye hooks and ran the counterweight off to the side of the door.
My issue isn't for security since I have a playhouse coop with the run entirely enclosed and fencing buried all the way around-it's mostly so the girls stay warmer at night now that we're getting into the 30's and below.
It sure was fun to watch it work- while it was working..... It came down slow enough that I was confident that any bird dumb enough to sit in the doorway would get out of the way. Besides, if you set your timer at the correct hours the birds would surely all be inside.

Good idea on the plunger. I looked at the listing and noticed at the bottom of the page someone has added that it will not pull in at 15 volts but works well in the 18-24 volt DC range. I think 24v transformers are readily available at the box stores. To prevent the solenoid from binding mount the solenoid about a inch above the top edge of the door. Both can actuate at the same time but the solenoid should not bind. At most the door could only be opened an inch with the solenoid actuated.

My door goes down a 1.5" below the bottom of the opening and the aluminum is smooth on the outside, guess I could spray some wd-40 on it to make it harder for them.

Last edited:
Don't know if this is dead or not, but I did find an 18 x 12 teflon cutting board and set that up for my auto pop door. It works great, is sorta slippery, and a little thicker (thermally speaking) than steel / aluminum. Using the Drapery Motor from Ebay, and a 28 event timer from Harbor Frieght, it works flawlessly. I "prefabbed" it in our home. (log cabin) and have been monitoring open close, on / off modes. I bought and was going to use a regular on / off timer, but the instructs for the drapery motor recommends that the power be shut off after open and close modes, they say the transformer won't take the constant flow of electricity, and will burn out after a time, hence the 28 event timer. I have around $140.00 total in the project, and a ton of confidence and relief knowing they will be let in and out without us bieng there! Shoulda done it a month ago,,,got an inch of snow last night!
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

I needed an auto door to keep out the racoon family that makes rounds every night. I considered the drapery motor but because I did not have electricity to the coop (about 75 ft away from the nearest) I ended up purchasing the VSBi from foys. Easy install and it works on 4 AA batteries. They claim that with their door the batteries will last a couple of years.

I just installed mine yesterday, and so far so good. I think my total investment was $245 with s&h. A bit pricey, but now I do not have to beg my neighbors to let the ladies in and out when I go on vacation, and I have come home late on occasion worried about what I was going to find; now no more worries.

$

Back
Top Bottom