Installed our timed lighting system yesterday!

Lol, Freeloading! Ain't it the truth!
When did you start?

Tonight will be their third night and they're still acting like bums.
I went out there this morning, the light was on and they were wandering around their run like ding-dongs. Their coop is part of the run so they can go in and out of the coop into the run. So I've aimed the light so it shines in the coop and into the run. I hope that'll work.

I need to try this but don't have a lot of extra money I am interested what kind of timmer u are using

I got mine from walmart. It was five bucks I think.

Tonight will be their third night and they're still acting like bums. 
I went out there this morning, the light was on and they were wandering around their run like ding-dongs.

Lol!!
Last night was our third night too. No eggs yet. I have a lot that should be laying right now. I miss my eggs lol

LOL! I told my spoiled rotten flock that are just coming of age that they would not get anymore treats until they started laying. Got the first egg 2 days later!

LOL! I told my spoiled rotten flock that are just coming of age that they would not get anymore treats until they started laying. Got the first egg 2 days later!
I wonder what they would have laid if you told them their legs are starting to look tasty since they are depriving you of eggs...hmm I may try that! :D
Lol mine are spoiled rotten too. It's ridiculous!

Lol!!
Last night was our third night too. No eggs yet. I have a lot that should be laying right now. I miss my eggs lol

Although I haven't read any information on this topic the other day I read a comment on this site from someone that said if the chickens have already stopped laying and then you give them extra light it can take a month before they start laying again.
idunno.gif

To all who just installed a light and are waiting for eggs:
Adding lights is not a magic bullet. Once the hens have stopped, it takes a while to get going. Jumping them from a natural for this time of year 10 hours of light to 14 in one day will not help. You must increase the lighting very slowly, about 10-15 minutes every three days until you are up to 14+ hours of light. The hen's body must produce hormones in response to the light, and it takes a minimum of several weeks to get these hormone concentrations up. Unfortunately, when the day length has dropped this much, it may take up to six weeks before your lights make a difference.

For next year, what I suggest is waiting until you see the first signs of moulting in late summer, then adding light 15 minutes every three days. That will mean taking into account the fact that the day length is decreasing at the same time you're increasing light. You want your birds to moult, because they need to renew those feathers. Use the light to trick their bodies into thinking it's spring so they begin laying immediately after they finish their moult instead of waiting until April.
http://umaine.edu/publications/2227e/
http://www.sp.uconn.edu/~mdarre/poultrypages/light_inset.html

To all who just installed a light and are waiting for eggs:
Adding lights is not a magic bullet. Once the hens have stopped, it takes a while to get going. Jumping them from a natural for this time of year 10 hours of light to 14 in one day will not help. You must increase the lighting very slowly, about 10-15 minutes every three days until you are up to 14+ hours of light. The hen's body must produce hormones in response to the light, and it takes a minimum of several weeks to get these hormone concentrations up. Unfortunately, when the day length has dropped this much, it may take up to six weeks before your lights make a difference.

For next year, what I suggest is waiting until you see the first signs of moulting in late summer, then adding light 15 minutes every three days. That will mean taking into account the fact that the day length is decreasing at the same time you're increasing light. You want your birds to moult, because they need to renew those feathers. Use the light to trick their bodies into thinking it's spring so they begin laying immediately after they finish their moult instead of waiting until April.
http://umaine.edu/publications/2227e/
http://www.sp.uconn.edu/~mdarre/poultrypages/light_inset.html

Oh. :thumbsup

Yeah, it took mine a week or so to start to pick up in laying. Some of my pullets were on the verge of starting and I think 4 of the 6 are now laying. I'm not sure the older ones will lay this winter, they are coming off a hard molt.

Back
Top Bottom