Installing Coop Windows

I used the same windows in my Woods house, and this is how I installed them, which is an idea I stole from an old chicken house, hog house, smoke house and barn on the farm where I grew up.

Windows slide horizontally to open and close.........

View attachment 1298305

If slid to the far right, window pops out for repair or cleaning.....otherwise, it stays tucked between the siding and the framing.

To support it in the closed position, I simply nailed a cleat to the framing to create a blind pocket for it to slip into......

View attachment 1298306

Window opening was covered with 1/2" x 1" 16 gauge welded wire......aka, 'cage wire"....that was nailed to the exterior of the framing before the siding went on....so is sandwiched between the two. Windows slides back and forth behind the wire......

View attachment 1298307
Great post! I believe I can do this...Thanks.

Here's the final product :)
The interesting part was trying to figure out how to shim it so the trim pieces would lay flat since the nailing fin caused them to rock. I tried extra flashing tape first, but even after two extra layers on the tape not covered by the fin, it still wasn't completely flat. Then I found some rubber strips (designed to go on the underside of a garage door), cut it to size and stapled it to the area around the nailing fin, then put the trim pieces on top of that. That worked better.

I still have some caulking to do around the trim, but I think it turned out pretty well :D

View attachment 1309427
It looks Great to me! Sorry you had all those problems, but looks like the outcome was worth it.

Nice job. That dark trim really pops against the white siding paint.

Thanks. The idea is that it will match the house colors since it's in the front part of my property. You can actually see the house window through the left coop window in the photo.

Last edited:
I think you did a wonderful job. once you are
done with it, you should not have to do anything to it for at least 20 years, then maybe another coat of paint..:thumbsup

now go and build another one..

HA! Next on the list is the people door. The plans just have plywood attached to the coop with hinges and blocks of wood. I want to build something better than that; esp. since the door will be facing the road. So now I'm doing searches for "how to build a shed door." :)

HA! Next on the list is the people door. The plans just have plywood attached to the coop with hinges and blocks of wood. I want to build something better than that; esp. since the door will be facing the road. So now I'm doing searches for "how to build a shed door." :)

Add 1x3 trim pieces around the plywood to give it some strength and depth. You could put a middle trim piece and some X's if you like.

JT

Add 1x3 trim pieces around the plywood to give it some strength and depth. You could put a middle trim piece and some X's if you like.

JT

Yeah, I've been looking at that. These plans have the door overlap the opening, but I'd rather it sit in the opening like shed doors.

I assume you do not get the snow like we do up here is wisc. I made my steel door swing inward and I raised the bottom 4 inches above the floor to avoid plowing through straw and shavings..
sometimes the snow can be as high as 2 to 3 feet against the door.. opening it outward becomes almost impossible even after shoveling the snow away ..

If you do go with the plywood door and added wood trim/reinforcing, I would reinforce is likewise on the inside..

do you have a used lumber type store near you ? I picked up a steel door with a window in it for $5.oo. it is over 40 years old .. I built my own jamb out of 2x6's..
the sill is concrete.
.....jiminwisc.......

Back
Top Bottom