Institutionalised chickens

reeeen4

Chirping
Jan 9, 2020
I got 2 silkies about a month ago now from a person who told me they had saved them from very poor conditions, they had been kept indoors in a very cramped area. I now have them in our chicken coop which we open every morning for them to roam on our property. But they don't leave the coop ever, at first they both just sat in the corner and barely walked but once they settled in we cut their toe nails which were incredibly long. Then one of them perked up a little and walks out the door about a foot or two but that's it and the other still sits around and doesn't move much in the coop. Are these chickens too institutionalised to change to more free ranging behaviour or is it too late? How can I encourage them to come out more and scratch around?

I've never had your experience, but if I were trying to lure them out, I would try a trail of mealworms, or even their own food to encourage them to head outside.

If they lived indoors, does that mean they are people friendly? Maybe you can sit with them outside so they feel more secure. After their "imprisonment," it must seem like a big, scary world out there. Free-ranging may be too overwhelming; perhaps a small pen would give them more confidence.

It may take a good deal of time to change their behavior, but it is worth it to try to give them a better life. Good luck and kudos to you for helping them.

I got 2 silkies about a month ago now from a person who told me they had saved them from very poor conditions, they had been kept indoors in a very cramped area. I now have them in our chicken coop which we open every morning for them to roam on our property. But they don't leave the coop ever, at first they both just sat in the corner and barely walked but once they settled in we cut their toe nails which were incredibly long. Then one of them perked up a little and walks out the door about a foot or two but that's it and the other still sits around and doesn't move much in the coop. Are these chickens too institutionalised to change to more free ranging behaviour or is it too late? How can I encourage them to come out more and scratch around?
Can you make a transistion area where they can move about in a area without direct light and items they can percieve as cover?

Over the summer we reared some Speckled Sussex in tighter confinement than ideal. Four batches of 8 so reared. If you put them on open floor they would not move for hours so clearly a little messed up in head. We then stocked them out in outdoor pens; 3 prefabricated coops and two dog kennels. The former were tighter like their previous home. Those began moving around after only a day or so. The latter two groups in the much larger pens did not move much at all until coops were about 75% wrapped in tarps. Now two months later they are still increasing their mobility. It takes time.

I've never had your experience, but if I were trying to lure them out, I would try a trail of mealworms, or even their own food to encourage them to head outside.

If they lived indoors, does that mean they are people friendly? Maybe you can sit with them outside so they feel more secure. After their "imprisonment," it must seem like a big, scary world out there. Free-ranging may be too overwhelming; perhaps a small pen would give them more confidence.

It may take a good deal of time to change their behavior, but it is worth it to try to give them a better life. Good luck and kudos to you for helping them.
They aren't exactly friendly with people, think they didn't come into contact much with humans sadly. I have tried hand feeding them a few times but they are too cautious, definitly going to take some time.

Can you make a transistion area where they can move about in a area without direct light and items they can percieve as cover?

Over the summer we reared some Speckled Sussex in tighter confinement than ideal. Four batches of 8 so reared. If you put them on open floor they would not move for hours so clearly a little messed up in head. We then stocked them out in outdoor pens; 3 prefabricated coops and two dog kennels. The former were tighter like their previous home. Those began moving around after only a day or so. The latter two groups in the much larger pens did not move much at all until coops were about 75% wrapped in tarps. Now two months later they are still increasing their mobility. It takes time.
Yes they have an area where there is cover outside their coop and that's where they spend 90% of their time haha.

With patience you can get them friendly with people. When I have hard nuts to crack I put them in small elevated cages about waist to chest high that are not in bright light. Then feed them little bits at a time to get them used to me. Ultimately I want them to eat from my hand and even step comely out of cage to do so.

Back
Top Bottom