Insulated waterer options

NeilV

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 15, 2010
Tulsa, OK
My coop does not have electricity. This is my first winter. I have a standard metal waterer, which will obviously freeze up.

Does anybody have recommendations for a specific brand of insulated waterer. I figure if I can put warm water in something that's insulated, I can make do.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Hi Neil. Last year I did not have electricity and just put out water in the morning and evening. You may want to buy another waterer, but paying extra for insulation won't give you that much more time. My chickens did fine having a drink in the morning and a drink in the evening. Good luck, hope that helps.

I set their waterer out each morning and take it back inside late afternoon - they seem to get enough water this way. I also use a plastic waterer - i'm sure this is paranoia, but after watching "A Christmas Story" a zillion times, I don't want to find one of them stuck to a metal waterer
lol.png

What about duck-taping closed cell foam (camp mattress) around the upper exposed area of the one you have? Tape it good so your chickens don't peck all the foam off and... Imagining the worsed.... You get the idea.

Try one of those black rubber bowls you get at the TSC. Pour some warm water in the morning and should be good for the day. I use a heated dog bowl.

Back
Top Bottom