kathlynr8

Songster
6 Years
Nov 12, 2014
Vermont
Hi,
I am looking at a chicken coop design and the author said that you might want to insulate it the coop but didn't detail how to do so. I am wondering if insulating a coop is a good idea and if anyone has done so? I live in Vermont - so it seems a good place to insulate a coop if it is necc. However - the chicken breeds I am considering are all cold hardy. Thanks for any ideas! _Kate

I live in zone 5 in upstate NY. I doubt we get quite as cold as your area but I opted NOT to insulate my coop.
I did build a "no human access" coop for a smaller total volume of air to keep warm and I use DLM for bedding. My coop has a little over 15 sq ft of ventilation for 32 sq foot of floor area when all windows are open.
The DLM will generate some heat and I think my flock will be fine.
I also installed my 2x4 roost with the wide side horizontal so they can tuck their feet under them to stay warm during the winter.
I personally would not recommend insulating your coop.

I do not believe insulating a coop is a good idea and I live in Montana. First, the insulation is a great place for mice to spend the winter. Second, because you insulated you might want to "keep in the heat" in the coop thereby closing off the very necessary ventilation that will actually keep your chickens warm in the winter. Remember this. A warm chicken is a dry chicken or a dry chicken is a warm chicken. Chickens are great about keeping themselves warm with that wonderful down blanket they carry around 24/7. They need a place to roost that is protected from drafts and they need a place that is low in humidity. When it was -22 F last winter my chickens were outside all day in their enclosed run.

Thats great! I dont need to attract mice and don't need the extra work to insulate it. How do you ventilate without being drafty?
_Kate

Thanks for your reply! What is DLM bedding?

Deep Litter Method. It's great.
I use hemp bedding for it but you can use pine shavings, dry leaves or whatever will absorb the moisture from the droppings, will compost and have low dust and no mold. You only clean your coop out (and not all of it) once or twice a year. You basically compost the waste right in the coop. That generates the heat. There is really no foul odor.
Studies show it is more beneficial to chickens as it creates stronger immune systems.
There are articles about it you can read right here on BYC.

Thats great! I dont need to attract mice and don't need the extra work to insulate it. How do you ventilate without being drafty?
_Kate

To ventilate without being drafty you basically want to close off windows that will allow wind to blow across the birds when on the roost.
You want a low opening (usually the pop door does the trick) and high openings in the coop to promote stack effect and removal of moisture and ammonia vapors.
I have vent openings (backed with hardware cloth) along the entire length of the eaves of my coop on both sides in addition to large windows on the front of the coop and 2 smaller ones on each gable end. All the windows can be closed if needed. coop_label.jpg

My coop has walls that are 4 feet high, then a gabled roof. Have two 1' by 3' vents high in the gable. Have a 2' by 2' vent in the back of the coop that gets no wind at all. Then there is the pop door that is never closed to the run. The run is covered and has 3 sides covered in clear plastic sheets during the winter. The vents and pop door give me about 11 square feet of vent area for a 6' by 8' coop. The south facing window is closed during the winter but open when the weather is pleasant. The chickens roost on 2 by 4s that have the 4 inch side up and the roost is down fairly low at 20 inches from the floor. No wind blows on the birds but the warm moist air goes out the top which is what you want to happen. Chickens can make a lot of moisture in the coop between breathing and pooping.

I also use the Deep Litter Method in the coop. I use pine shavings with leaves. During the winter I'll add hay as that encourages the girls to scratch around and mix up the litter while they look for seeds and goodies in the hay. I completely clean out and change the litter once or twice a year. The old litter goes to the compost pile.

I'm up in Canada and have an insulated coop. I used 1.5" rigid insulation and covered it with 1/4' plywood to keep the girls from pecking at it. All seams are caulked to keep mice and bugs out.
I have two windows that get left open in the summer, in the winter they're closed but they're nice for letting light in. There's sufficient ventilation along the eaves and the pop door to keep moisture at a minimum.
On spring and fall days when it seems especially wet out I'll open the higher window. It's about one foot above their heads so I don't worry so much about a draft freezing their combs.

I also use 2" x 4" with the 4" side up for their roosts. I have a heated dog bowl that I use for water, it has a cover so it retains more heat and they can't poop in it. I keep it outside as to not add more moisture to the coop. The few days where it's especially cold and snowy and they aren't that keen to come outside I make sure to offer them water inside a couple times.

Back
Top Bottom