Insulating coop in a cold winter area. Yea or Nay?

1. I would never insulate a coop.
  • Highly probable that you will end up with mice (rats?) living in the insulation; they will destroy it, add copious amount of urine and feces and help themselves to any food that you have in the coop.
  • Given the ventilation requirements for chickens you are spending money for insulation and inside wall covering that will do nothing, the temperature inside will track the absolute temperature outside within very few degrees.
  • Spend the extra money on a larger walk in coop.
2. I would build a coop that is designed for cold weather climates. I have a 10' by 16' Woods; this is an example of an open air design the front of which is 1/2' hardware cloth. Average winter temperature is -15C/5F with short periods as low as -30C/-22F, sometimes colder, I never add heat, this is my 4th winter, very occasional frost bite on comb and waddles.

3. Birds do not need to be what humans consider to be "warm", I would select cold tolerant birds (small combs and waddles), I have Chanteclers and Barred Rocks and make sure they are properly fed with higher protein foods.

4. I use deep bedding in the coop with dropping boards under the roosts and deep litter in a covered (steel roof) run. Pop door is always open (make sure your coop/run are predator proof!!).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom