Insulation in Coops

Rich Marshall

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 27, 2011
Do I need to insulate my chicken coop for the winter? If so any suggestions I am in Westcester NY.
Thanks...

Mine is insulated & draft free. Whether they "need" it or not, it gives me piece of mind knowing they are cozy in their coop @ night when the temps dip into the negative numbers. I am in Massachusetts, so winters here are probably similar to what yours are like in NY. I do not give them any supplemental heat either. They have the option of going out into the run & they usually go out, no matter what the temp. Last winter we had a -8 degree morning & they were all waiting for me to open the pop door, & they spent the day outside, no issues w/ the cold.
Hope that helps!

Thats great thanks...I am thinking of doing may be a heat lamp but no insulation but draft free...

welcome-byc.gif

Putting in heat is a disaster in the making. If you should lose power, the birds may perish. They need to become acclimated to the cold weather. A coop with protection from the winds and draft free ( no air blowing on them) will also help them keep more of their body heat. Smaller birds have a harder time as larger birds have a big body mass.
Coops need to breath, and have enough air flow to remove the moisture laden air and replace with fresh air. This is where insulation can be helpful. Or placement of the coop. Or use of windows with a sunny exposure. Lots to think about.

You will find many threads on winter care and coops.

If your coop is draft free, then insulation really isn't a big deal. Having said that though, I do think it pays to have insulated if your coop has windows, because it retains the heat (from the sun shining in) longer into the evening. Or if you plan on supplementing heat, insulation is good, as once again, it helps retain the heat.
And I disagree with the previous poster about heating being a disaster waiting to happen. If you use sensible safety measures, and if you're merely adding a little warmth (not trying to create a tropical environment), your birds will be fine. I agree that if you're creating house temps and then your birds are thrust out into 10 degree weather, they're going to suffer (as would a dog/cat who is use to house temps.). But just adding a little warmth is not a lot different from the heating pads and such that some add to outdoor dog houses - just enough to make them a little more comfortable.
To add supplemental heat or not is a personal choice...chickens can survive amazingly cold temps. Draft free coop, keeping them in liquid water, and plenty of nutritious feed will make all the difference.

NEW Egg here with a coop question: I live in Southern California. we dont get snow but we do get those few CRAZY nights that will drop below 32degrees. My coop has 2 windows, a 3sq ft screen door and a Vaulted ceiling style that is mesh. It is 100% rainproof, but i was mainly thinking of ventialtion in the many 100 plus degree smmer days we have down here. shuold i board up some of the openings? how many?

Coop is 32sq ft open chicken wire on bottom floor
then 32sq ft of walled in coop area (has windows and vaulted ceiling)
plus 6 nesting boxes and 18 ft of roosting poles.

Total 11chickens

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom