1. Chickenfiend

Chickenfiend Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2008
    Bellville OH
    I was wondering what kind of insulation i should use or maybe some sort of make shift insulation such as styrofoam or maybe packing peanuts lol... what are your ideas.

Thanks,
    Sean

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Any type of insulation will work. I used styrofoam. I've read that people use thick corrugated cardboard.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with ChickenToes. I used styrofoam too. I used the panels (2 in thick) which I cut for perfect fit.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    But remember to cover it with plywood or anything else unpeckable, or the chickens will eat it and get sick. (Yes, they will peck apart styrofoam, or foamboard, or whatever).

Good luck and have fun,

Pat

5. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Welcome to BYC!!!

I wish I could find the post.......

Insulation seems to be a plus, but is not strictly necessary. One BYC contributor (whose posts I can't find:() mentions that most coops seen by this person in ALASKA do NOT use insulation. But you must have good cross ventilation at all times, to draw out the moist cold air due to 'life' in the coop!

So true, it's a plus to have in., but it's not really a 'minus' if you don't.

6. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I used sythetic carpet pad from my living room remodel. I've seen some old houses with newspaper shoved in the walls.

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Did you see the new houses not made with straw bails?! It's pretty cool...great insulation too. They pile up straw bails and cover it in some kind of cement...that's it. We used both reg insulation and the pink Styrofoam. Whatever we had left from the houses. We also did the ceiling and added a plywood ceiling (all the electrical runs up there) then we painted everything in high gloss exterior paint...floors too. VERY easy to clean high gloss! Wipes right off [​IMG]

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Quote:Quote:I agree. I covered it with plywood in areas they can reach. I put just styrofoam around the top and ceiling. It's well vented. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by