Insulation?

Justins Wife

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 4, 2014
Bedford
Hi, this is my first winter with my flock-6 rhode island reds, and 4 blue splash marans. My coop is home built of decking boards, 8x5x6, I have the ceiling insulated with regular house insulation, and I put up foam insulation on the inside today, b/c temps are to get really really frigid here in PA. Is that ok? Or should I not have done that? I also have a good layer of straw on the floor of the coop, and in the nesting boxes.
Thanks!

Anything is better than nothing just hope you covered the insulation with plywood or something else so they can't peck at it because they will.

I have the same type of insulation on the walls of my coop. Is it bad for them to peck at it? I have foam in the rafters and on parts of the wall. Is it harmful to the chickens?

I live in Central PA, have had chickens for several years, my coop is not insulated and my chickens have done well. I use wood shavings on the floor of the coop, and my roosts are 4 X 4s, so that their feet are covered by their feathers when they roost, helping to keep their feet warmer at night. I have a mixed flock including RIRs, a buff orpington, a black sex-link, a barred rock, a leghorn, and some mixed breeds. Straw is also a very good insulating material on the floor. I agree that if you insulate you will want to make sure the insulation material is covered so that your chickens do not peck at/eat it. I've read posts over the years on here where that has happened. Please make sure you have adequate ventilation in the upper area of your coop, so that moisture from their breathing and droppings is able to escape. From what I've read that helps reduce the risk of frostbite. I worry about my girls whenever the weather turns cold, but then realize they have it much better than wild birds who have no coops for shelter and do well anyway. Welcome to BYC! Nice to see a neighbor from PA :)

Thanks for all the info! I didn't have any plywood to put up over the foam, I'll have to wait until I get paid.

They seem happy!

You could also use empty feed bags to cover the insulation, remove the bottom seam, slit up the side and you've got a fairly large sheet of material. Use short drywall screws to attach to the wall.

I have the same type of insulation on the walls of my coop. Is it bad for them to peck at it? I have foam in the rafters and on parts of the wall. Is it harmful to the chickens? I think mine would be dead by now if it were. It is like bubble wrap to chickens they can not leave it alone. It is probably akin to smoking it definitely not good for them. If a Styrofoam cup comes anywhere my chickens they think it is bread maybe I do not know for sure.

You could also use empty feed bags to cover the insulation, remove the bottom seam, slit up the side and you've got a fairly large sheet of material. Use short drywall screws to attach to the wall. This will work for a time the more layers the better. I found it had a shelf life unfortunately! They seem to sense Styrofoam is under there I think (at least in my case).

I put up foam insulation on the inside today, b/c temps are to get really really frigid here in PA. Is that ok? Or should I not have done that? I also have a good layer of straw on the floor of the coop, and in the nesting boxes. I would not put it in personally until I could cover it even temporarily with something vinyl flooring would be good, feed bags better than nothing for the short term (for me anyway). I used interior doors I got at Habitat for humanity and ran them through my table saw to utilize the veneer plywood. Light and easy to work with and chicken proof. Something light and sturdy is the key I tacked things up with a stapler and then went over them with laths and drywall screws. Did most of the cutting with shears. Coop is only 4x8 salvaged metal shed.
Easy Peasy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom