Integrate a Lone Hen?

I rescued 2 hens from deplorable conditions. I quarantined for a month as I treated them for worms, lice, vent gleet, and sour crop. Good times.

I read the article @azygous wrote. She didn't quarantine. I will still keep them separated. I'll probably keep her in a crate in the garage at night and let her out in our yard (very separate from the rest of our property - we are spread out over 3 levels - it's weird).

Look at her. Just look....
View attachment 2898366
Oops, just read this post after I posted the article. 😊
What a sweet looking hen. 🥰

Best you continue the quarantine for a little longer to be sure a respiratory illness isn't about to erupt. There are tests, but you pay around $100 for each one, and you aren't assured of hitting the right one. There's no one test to see what turns up, unfortunately. Typically, you see certain symptoms and match them up with a possible disease and have the lab test for that.

Best you continue the quarantine for a little longer to be sure a respiratory illness isn't about to erupt. There are tests, but you pay around $100 for each one, and you aren't assured of hitting the right one. There's no one test to see what turns up, unfortunately. Typically, you see certain symptoms and match them up with a possible disease and have the lab test for that.
I can do that. I'll probably call my vet, anyway, to see what he thinks of her.

Thanks for the info. And I never meant any disrespect. I hope you didn't take offense, and if you did I'm sorry.

I rescued 2 hens from deplorable conditions. I quarantined for a month as I treated them for worms, lice, vent gleet, and sour crop. Good times.

I read the article @azygous wrote. She didn't quarantine. I will still keep them separated. I'll probably keep her in a crate in the garage at night and let her out in our yard (very separate from the rest of our property - we are spread out over 3 levels - it's weird).

Look at her. Just look....
View attachment 2898366
she's a cutie, she really needs a new home:love

@azygous

I realize you had integrated a hen that had been thoroughly vetted (for want of a better term). I would never expect otherwise! Would this one be less "suspect" being she's been in a shelter for a month? I'm fine waiting, but I'd like to get her integrated before the weather gets too much colder.

Back
Top Bottom