Integrating 8 week old to existing flock

Berlynnn

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2023
Hey everyone I am new to chicken keeping. I currently have 5 RIR that are 16 weeks old. I also have a mix of 15 light/dark brahmas and mystic Onyx that are currently 8 weeks old. I would like to put them all in one coop at this point. We do let them free range so they have been around eachother while out. We have one RIR that goes after the little ones. When the little ones have ventured into the big coop the other chickens have chased them out if they were also in there at the time. So I'm worried about how it is going to go when they are all actually in the same coop. What is the best way to put them all together?? Thank you!

Hey everyone I am new to chicken keeping. I currently have 5 RIR that are 16 weeks old. I also have a mix of 15 light/dark brahmas and mystic Onyx that are currently 8 weeks old. I would like to put them all in one coop at this point. We do let them free range so they have been around eachother while out. We have one RIR that goes after the little ones. When the little ones have ventured into the big coop the other chickens have chased them out if they were also in there at the time. So I'm worried about how it is going to go when they are all actually in the same coop. What is the best way to put them all together?? Thank you!
There may be a little fighting, but that would just be because of pecking order. Brahmas sre not very small, and so I am sure that they will be fine. There is not a huge gap between age, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just try to put them in together at night.
Hope it goes well!

There may be a little fighting, but that would just be because of pecking order. Brahmas sre not very small, and so I am sure that they will be fine. There is not a huge gap between age, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just try to put them in together at night.
Hope it goes well!
Thanks for the advice! Yeah they are a little over half the size as the RIR already so I was hoping they would be able to hold their own! We also have a mystic onyx rooster and he is already almost as big as the RIR at only 8 weeks, so I'm hoping that helps as well! I definitely noticed though my RIR are way more moody compared to the others!

Thanks for the advice! Yeah they are a little over half the size as the RIR already so I was hoping they would be able to hold their own! We also have a mystic onyx rooster and he is already almost as big as the RIR at only 8 weeks, so I'm hoping that helps as well! I definitely noticed though my RIR are way more moody compared to the others!
Awe, your gonna need to post pictures of everyone together. And your Mystic Onyx. I've not heard of them.
Hope that the integration goes well!!!

On one hand you're in great shape because in my experience free-ranging really helps integration AND they really are not that far apart in age. On the other hand RIR's.... It's been RIR's who are the meanest to newbies in my experience. So until the little's are same size as RIR's keep a close watch just to make sure littles don't get hurt to bad. I had a bad experience with this scenario once. Good Luck!

On one hand you're in great shape because in my experience free-ranging really helps integration AND they really are not that far apart in age. On the other hand RIR's.... It's been RIR's who are the meanest to newbies in my experience. So until the little's are same size as RIR's keep a close watch just to make sure littles don't get hurt to bad. I had a bad experience with this scenario once. Good Luck!
Yeah, my RIR is a jerk to my nest hen. She has been her for a few months and she is still a jerk to Willow.
Willow can take care if herself though, and I'm glad.

It's gonna take time.
How big is the coop, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics, inside and out, would help here.

Back
Top Bottom