Integrating a single new chick, help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Raeleefamily, May 30, 2016.

1. Raeleefamily

Raeleefamily Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2016
    Yuma, AZ
    Hi, I'm not sure if you are still answering questions on this page but here it goes. I successfully hatched 3 of 7 eggs in an automatic incubator a little over 2 weeks ago. I put 7 more in and only one is growing this time. It currently has 9 days to go. Will it be okay to put the new chick in with the other three when it hatches? I'm worried that the older ones won't accept it. Thanks

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, in fact it's best to keep all the chicks together. It gets touchy if the age spread is greter than a couple weeks though.

1 person likes this.
  3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

They will have different temperature requirement with 3 week age difference between them, if I did my math right.

When I added a new chick 2 new chicks (same age) to 3 two week old's that were established in the brooder already, it wasn't pretty. So I added 3 more, switched to a red light, and moved thing around in there. Peace ensued. Next brood gets "mamma heating pad".

The way they pile on top of each other I would worry about the little one getting trampled, if not bullied.

I have read that if you add them when they are sleeping it is smoother.

So I think it kind of depends on your set up and your individual chicks. We have 1 named Atilla for a reason.

Unless you have a good plan for integration in the future, I would refrain from staggered hatches like that. Seems like it would be less stressful for both you and the chicks. JMO

Good luck with your last 1!

1 person likes this.
  4. 3 chicks farm

3 chicks farm Just Hatched

May 15, 2016
    I had my separated in the brooder by wire mesh for a couple of days. The look but can't touch approach. Couple of days later put them together no problems. I use same method when introducing to main flock

1 person likes this.
  5. Raeleefamily

Raeleefamily Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2016
    Yuma, AZ
    Thanks everyone, the integration went smoothly.[​IMG]

6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] So cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by