Integrating adults and newbies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mandy Mo, Feb 21, 2014.

1. mandy Mo

mandy Mo New Egg

Feb 7, 2014
    Hello!
    I have two adult girls. Two that are 4weeks old and two that are days old. How soon can the middle girls live with the adults. ( I'm already putting them I'm the yard in their own run during the day) and can I keep her babies and the middles together in the same brooding box?

2. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    In warm climates or during the summer, chicks can be without heat at 6 weeks old. In cold weather I keep a little extra heat for them until 2 months old.
    When you add yours in with the hens it would be a good idea to give the babies a place to escape to if the hens bother them.[​IMG]
    My rule of thumb.... don't put little ones together who are more than 3 weeks difference in age.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  3. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    That is my rule of thumb too!

4. SoDak605

SoDak605 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    South Dakota
    I did two groups of chickens last spring/summer, about 2 months age difference between groups. They didn't start to integrate until I began placing them in the coop with the older birds at night. Even today one rooster and two of his hens wont go in in the coop at all unless I put them in there, they sleep with the duck instead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by