integrating bantam rooster and hens

chicky1016

Songster
6 Years
Jun 20, 2015
South jersey USA
I've had a bantam rooster for about a week now in a separate pen and I mixed him in with my flock of girls today for the first time when they were free ranging. Everything was going great, he immediately took over and he was the boss. That is, until he met Bertha. Bertha is HUGE and is my dominant hen. She definitely won the fight that lasted maybe 15 seconds... He's got some battle wounds in his comb and his ego is busted, but I'm not concerned about that. My concern is, will they ever get along? When and if should I try again? This is Bertha and nobody messes with her.

A week isn't a very long time for acclimation. Most, keep them in a separate pen - within sight of the other birds, for a couple of weeks and then give them some supervised time together in small spells.

A week isn't a very long time for acclimation.  Most, keep them in a separate pen - within sight of the other birds, for a couple of weeks and then give them some supervised time together in small spells.

Their pens are right next to one another so they can see the other one is there. Do you think they'll eventually grow to have a respect for one another or are there just some hens that will continue to fight?

Back
Top Bottom