Integrating broody and chicks

Bp10244

Songster
Apr 4, 2018
NW Georgia
I had a small coop, so we decided to upgrade but in the midst of transitioning, my salmon Faverolle decided to go broody. Long story short she hatched and has been raising the chicks in the smaller coop while the rest of the flock is in the new coop. The chicks are around 3 weeks old and need to go in the larger coop, but when I tried to integrate the two groups, the alpha hen went after the broody and wouldn’t let up so I separated the two. I clearly didn’t do it right, so how should I integrate the two groups? Thanks in advance

This will be a problem as your Favorelle is a breed that is very docile and often picked on by more aggressive breeds. She has to start at the bottom of the pecking order again, a place she may never have left.

First a question. Have you had them in sight of each other through fence line? That needs to happen for several days to a week for the Favorelle.

Babes can usually hold their own as long as they have places to hide and run UNLESS you have overly aggressive birds. 3 weeks can work, 4 is better, with the right flock. It works best if momma is there to protect them from aggressive birds. However, momma Favorelle will be hazed to get back into the flock, which can be a bit tough, so she probably won't do a good job of protecting the babes.

If it is one hen, you may consider putting HER in the small coop and letting the Favorelle and babes integrate with the friendlier birds in the flock. Then when the chicks are at about 6 weeks of age, holding their own and fledged, and the Favorelle re-integrated, let the aggressive alpha hen into the main flock again.

Otherwise, you may have to let the Favorelle and babes be alone in the small coop, with visual, for a bit longer.

My thoughts and experiences.
LofMc

Yes the smaller coop is in sight and I’ve been allowing the Faverolle and the chicks into the main run while the rest of the flock is free ranging so they’ve been interacting through the fence as well. I have a lame Easter egger I call limpy and mamma seemed to assert herself over the EE so at least she’s not the very bottom of the pecking order. Separating that Brahma is probably a good idea thank you for that!!
This will be a problem as your Favorelle is a breed that is very docile and often picked on by more aggressive breeds. She has to start at the bottom of the pecking order again, a place she may never have left.

First a question. Have you had them in sight of each other through fence line? That needs to happen for several days to a week for the Favorelle.

Babes can usually hold their own as long as they have places to hide and run UNLESS you have overly aggressive birds. 3 weeks can work, 4 is better, with the right flock. It works best if momma is there to protect them from aggressive birds. However, momma Favorelle will be hazed to get back into the flock, which can be a bit tough, so she probably won't do a good job of protecting the babes.

If it is one hen, you may consider putting HER in the small coop and letting the Favorelle and babes integrate with the friendlier birds in the flock. Then when the chicks are at about 6 weeks of age, holding their own and fledged, and the Favorelle re-integrated, let the aggressive alpha hen into the main flock again.

Otherwise, you may have to let the Favorelle and babes be alone in the small coop, with visual, for a bit longer.

My thoughts and experiences.
LofMc

That normally happens. Where is the Rooster while the Momma and Chicks are trying to integrate?
I would free range everyone together and see how that goes and then start putting Momma and Chicks into the main Coop at night. You can also lock up the aggressive Hen to knock her down a peg or two...

That normally happens. Where is the Rooster while the Momma and Chicks are trying to integrate?
I would free range everyone together and see how that goes and then start putting Momma and Chicks into the main Coop at night. You can also lock up the aggressive Hen to knock her down a peg or two...
We don’t have a rooster. I bought fertilizer eggs from a farm.

Back
Top Bottom