Integrating chicks into flock at 4 weeks old.

Pics
Our chick integration has gone very well.

I have left the brooder intact but more to allow them separate food and water sources; small doors are always open and they come and go as needed. I also modified my nest box to add a second space and in preparation for a heater to prevent (hopefully) the eggs from freezing. The chicks use the space underneath the box as an escape location.

Pop Door Inside.jpg Pop Door Outside.JPG Modified Nest Box.JPG

Both the older pullets and the chicks have open access to the coop and run after the older ones have laid their eggs (usually by 10-11am) and both groups freely go in and out as they wish. I have turned off the "mama plate" and the youngsters now sleep in a heap under the bottom end of the ramp. I wonder at what point I should start to "teach" them to use the roosts?

Coop Integration 001.JPG Coop Integration 002.JPG Coop Integration 003.JPG

I have turned off the "mama plate" and the youngsters now sleep in a heap under the bottom end of the ramp.I wonder at what point I should start to "teach" them to use the roosts?
The ramp outside the coop?
No time like the present....put them up there after dark like you did the older ones.

No! I would get royal "What the..." from my sister if I left them outside at night.

Thanks, I will put them up tonight; near the older ones (left side on both roost boards), middle, right?
:gigI'll bet. I forgot about the ramp inside.

I'd not put them right next to the older birds.

I'd not put them right next to the older birds.

Well I tried to move them to the back roost on the right hand side (opposite side from the older pullets) using a very dim light and it did not go well. The chicks kept jumping down onto the drop board, I moved them back up a couple of time but in short order they were all down on the board. I moved a "mama witch" (hanging wool pieces clustered together) so that they would have some shelter if they wanted it but it is dark here so they may not move. I will go back out in 30 minute to have a look.

I know that there is no magic and it is, at best, a process; will go to -7C tonight.

I assume just keep at it (it took six days for the older pullets to place themselves on the roosts at night, they cluster on the two roosts)?

I make sure there is a space that chicks can fit through and hens can not. So as there getting to know the older flock they can run for refuge if in need. Space would have food, water, light, etc.
Good Luck ;)

I just let them decide when they want to go up since it tends to be an innate desire to roost high.

Personal experience proves your point. I went into the coop around noon today and saw the following. It is -9C and they are finding warmth in the sun but safe to say they know what the roosts are for. This is 6 of the 8 chicks I have the others were on the floor and active.

Chicks Roosting 001.JPG Chicks Roosting 002.JPG

Back
Top Bottom