Integrating chicks into flock at 4 weeks old.

Pics
Tonight confirmed that the chicks now sleep on the roosts. Last pic is them "following the sun" this afternoon.

Chick pot shots 001.JPG Chick pot shots 002.JPG image011.jpg

Integrated I'd Say

I sat inside the coop and watched my two groups settle on the roosts. I missed the youngsters getting from floor to roost boards but am pretty sure they use the branch that is about center of the coop and leading up.

It was darkish when I took these, I went back about 30 minutes later and the chicks had moved to the left so that there was a continuous line along the back roost with 3 bigger ladies and 1 youngster up front. No sign of dominance day or night except for the "boys" standing up and flapping wings at one another (actually funny at this point).

image001.jpg image002.jpg image003.jpg image004.jpg image005.jpg image006.jpg image007.jpg image008.jpg image009.jpg image010.jpg image011.jpg image012.jpg

@aart Yes they still fit through the small doors. I have food/water inside and separate any treats so that they get a better share.

However, the space would be better used for all so will move the brooder board soon.

Thanks!

Last edited:
@aart Yes they still fit through the small doors. I have food/water inside and separate any treats so that they get a better share.

However, the space would be better used for all so will move the brooder board soon Thanks!
Maybe first start feeding, watering, and treating outside brooder...see how it goes before removing brooder walls. How old are they?

Maybe first start feeding, watering, and treating outside brooder...see how it goes before removing brooder walls. How old are they?

The chicks already feed/drink from the main dispensers in the coop, also feed/water from those in the run. I have seen them eat side by side, seems to be no problem.

Seven weeks coming up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom