Integrating Chicks with Pullets

I wanted to ask, how much pecking is normal?
The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Update: we're doing really well so far with integration. They spent hours together outside for a few days then we put them all in the enclosed run with lots of clutter and seem to be doing well. A few pecks here and there but no bullying or ganging up, no pecking at vents or blood that I've seen. This is day 3 of having them in the run together all day, they're unsupervised but with checks throughout the day (mostly for my peace of mind).

SO my next question is when do I take the separation away inside the coop at night? I currently have it cut in half with chicken wire. But when I put the little chicks in the coop at night they seem exhausted from being "on guard" all day, eat a little and immediately settle down to roost. I was going to put a stool in the coop just incase they need to get away from the big girls. Anything I should look for before putting them together all night, wait a little longer or just go for it?

SO my next question is when do I take the separation away inside the coop at night? I currently have it cut in half with chicken wire. But when I put the little chicks in the coop at night they seem exhausted from being "on guard" all day, eat a little and immediately settle down to roost. I was going to put a stool in the coop just incase they need to get away from the big girls. Anything I should look for before putting them together all night, wait a little longer or just go for it?
If you're able to supervise you could probably try it now, but do not be surprised to see some arguing/fighting on the roost as that's normal even in established flocks.

As long as you have ample space on the roost it shouldn't be too bad. If the roost space is on the minimal side (i.e. one 5' roost for 6 chickens) then I wouldn't be surprised to see the chicks forced off the roost.

If you're able to supervise you could probably try it now, but do not be surprised to see some arguing/fighting on the roost as that's normal even in established flocks.

As long as you have ample space on the roost it shouldn't be too bad. If the roost space is on the minimal side (i.e. one 5' roost for 6 chickens) then I wouldn't be surprised to see the chicks forced off the roost.
if I wait a little longer will it help at all or are they going to bicker over the roosts (there are two 3ft roosts) either way?

if I wait a little longer will it help at all or are they going to bicker over the roosts (there are two 3ft roosts) either way?
Do they have a roost in their area now?
Just leave that and they will use it.
Don't expect them to roost with the big birds until after they reach POL.

They'll likely bicker regardless, but impossible to know how mild/bad it'll be until the babies actually go up there.

I expected complete chaos when I first had chicks roosting with adults but it's always gone smoothly for me, and I never had to intervene. Other people have a ton of issues and end up having to add extra roosts, lower a roost, etc.

It sounds like it is really going well. That is encouraging. My definition of a good integration is that no one gets hurt. That's it. All that becoming one happy flock can wait until they grow up. They will.

My immature chicks generally don't sleep on the main roosts with the adults until they mature themselves. None of yours are mature yet but there is about 4 to 5 weeks differences in their ages. That's enough of a maturity difference where it can cause a problem. You are not in exactly the same position I'm typically in, even if you were each group is different. You never know for sure what they will do.

My brooder raised chicks often don't start to roost on their own until they are 10 to 12 weeks of age. It sounds like your older ones are roosting already but even if the older ones were not there your youngest may not be ready to roost. I don't feel they have to roost until they are ready. Until mine roost they sleep on the coop floor just like they did in the brooder, like they do with a broody hen before she takes them to the roosts, and just like many people that have Silkies that never roost. Sleeping on the coop floor doesn't hurt them. When I'm integrating juveniles I don't care where they sleep as long as it is somewhere predator safe and not in my nests.

Good luck when you try it tonight, but remember the goal. No one gets hurt. Whether they roost or not is irrelevant.

No pecking that I saw on the coop camera. Each group went to their preferred roost and settled right down. I did add two stools for clutter so the littles could weave away if needed and a baby roost incase the bigs decided to hog both roosts.
vicohome20210928073346.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom