Integrating my baby ducklings with the older ones

torinunez

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2017
IMG_3243.JPG
IMG_3292.JPG
I have 2 ducks that are 5 1/2 weeks old, and 2 little ducklings that are 1 1/2 weeks. Even just a month apart in age there is a significant difference and sizes, and although I think it's out of curiousity rather than trying to harm them, our older ones will sometimes try to get too close and peck at them at times.

As of now we are slowly letting them all interact, mostly just letting them look at each other and get used to each other (while keeping a bit of distance), and always with our supervision. Is there anything else I can do to make this transition easier? A good age the little ones will be big enough to interact with our older ones?

View attachment 1044533 View attachment 1044536 I have 2 ducks that are 5 1/2 weeks old, and 2 little ducklings that are 1 1/2 weeks. Even just a month apart in age there is a significant difference and sizes, and although I think it's out of curiousity rather than trying to harm them, our older ones will sometimes try to get too close and peck at them at times.

As of now we are slowly letting them all interact, mostly just letting them look at each other and get used to each other (while keeping a bit of distance), and always with our supervision. Is there anything else I can do to make this transition easier? A good age the little ones will be big enough to interact with our older ones?

I think what you're doing is right. I wouldn't worry about the poking too much unless it is over and over consistently. If you let them roam around in an area under supervision you should be okay. The older ones will begin to charge when they want them out of their way but it's harmless and gives you a feel for their mindset. Eventually when they start living together permanently they will start to accept new friends with open wings.

You're probably looking at another 3 weeks or so before I'd feel comfortable leaving them for a monitored amount of time unsupervised, but within vision. Should be equal size enough they can't be seriously injured.

Back
Top Bottom