Integrating new chicken to flock- how long to keep separate

horscraz

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2020
North Central, WY
I am integrating new chickens to our flock after quarantining for 30+ days. They are separated by chain link dog kennel panel. How long would you keep them separate?

Depends on if they display signs of aggression when they see eachother.

Feed both flocks against the fence and observe them, if they seem okay, let them out after maybe two days with some distracting treats. Separate them if a fight escalates beyond pecking order stuff.

Just keep feeding them together! I reintegrated a horribly bullied hen who was being attacked by the entire flock, just by feeding them pasta.

It really depends on:
* space in the run/coup
* how the space is set up, are there hideouts, roosts, mini walls, hidden food stations?
* how many birds in the old established group
* how many birds in the new group (more you have, generally the easier it is)

A strategy that I have found very effective, is to put the established birds where you have the new birds, and the new birds in the actual coop and run for a day or two before the initial mixing. This lets the new comers explore the area without being chased for their lives. And it lets the oldies see them in there without the sky falling.

Mrs K

When you say you've had them quarantined, I assume you've had the two flocks separated at a distance from one another, and not just separated by this panel of dog fencing. Assuming this to be the case and that only recently they are adjacent to each other, visible to one other and separated only by this fencing, I would say two weeks. This is totally arbitrary on my part and based on what has worked for me. I put the feeders and waterers close to the fencing on both sides if at all possible, and twice a day I scatter scratch pretty close to the fence line on both sides. This way the chickens become accustomed to being in close proximity to one another, but cannot bother each other. After two weeks I open a gate between the two groups. At this point none of the chickens even notice. They just naturally intermingle without any fuss. That's how it has always worked for us. Good luck!

At lest a couple weeks.
Seeing pics of your set up might garner specific and more viable suggestions.

Here's some tips about.....

Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Depends on if they display signs of aggression when they see eachother.

Feed both flocks against the fence and observe them, if they seem okay, let them out after maybe two days with some distracting treats. Separate them if a fight escalates beyond pecking order stuff.

Just keep feeding them together! I reintegrated a horribly bullied hen who was being attacked by the entire flock, just by feeding them pasta.
I can’t get mine to go in together without a big fight. I’m getting worried as we are going on vacation for week and I do t want to have to keep them separate. Any tips to get them to all get a long just feel snacks with together? They co exist in the day while free ranging but they still bicker.

Generally speaking, often times, it is just a couple of meanies, and then when they attack the others join in. Put those three, where you have the newbies, put the newbies in with the others, wait a few days, let that get settled down, add ONE of the meanies - wait a day, add another, wait a day add the worst one.

Back
Top Bottom