Integrating new duck to a flock of 2

You’ve been there and have given great advise @CrystaBub It will take time and if he’s a young drake that may also play into the fact the girls can boss him around now. They will probably be all over him come spring lol. I do think I’d clip one wing just in case he tried flying and he is lost again with no family. My Muscovy girls will jump on the Runner drake if he tries to make any moves on them. It’s quiet hilarious. Just give it time I think it will be okay.

Thanks for the feedback! I think he is young- probably not older than a year. I wish I could attach a picture here but last time I tried had trouble. He's so pretty! My yard is well fenced- and since he's a cayuga flying and getting lost won't be a concern. Muscovies are indeed hilarious! We had a male muscovy we hand raised (Lucy's brother) but he got really aggressive in the spring- a bit too randy ; ) My muscovy hen evaded him well but my poor ancona got the brunt of his 14-15 pound self several times a day- too much for her. We quickly found him a good home. I hope this drake being smaller and a different breed will mean a bit less aggression come spring. One thing was for sure- Lucy was able to hold her own with this new comer. He wasn't at all aggressive but, she was protective and not backing down lol I call her my ninja bird.

I currently have him in a carrier inside the coop at night. At what point should I consider putting them in the coop all together overnight without the carrier? Should I wait until they're integrated before I do that (which could take months). I just don't want to lose progress if I do that and then they bully him and he gets scared and shuts down during the day. If I knew they'd likely get it out of their system a few nights and then adjust- I'd do it and get it over with. Thoughts?

I did a 'night in, night out' routine for a while. Once they could go the entire night w/o my poor female Pekin being chased all night, I stopped separating them. I want to say it was about 3.5 months before my Pekin was accepted. Strange thing is, my Ancona was accepted immediately and never had to be separated, so i think it depends on the bird. Keep us posted - I want to hear all about how this adventure goes for you! I'm still just so happy you rescued him!!!! :hugs

How long has he been with them in his carrier. You could try again but if it gets out of hand then put him back . @CrystaBub can give more info on that since she recently brought home females to her flock

He's been in the carrier for 4 nights now. The carrier is inside their coop. I figured this way our other two can be around him with a healthy separation since it's their turf. Before that for 3 or so nights he was in the carrier outside the coop, next to it.

I did a 'night in, night out' routine for a while. Once they could go the entire night w/o my poor female Pekin being chased all night, I stopped separating them. I want to say it was about 3.5 months before my Pekin was accepted. Strange thing is, my Ancona was accepted immediately and never had to be separated, so i think it depends on the bird. Keep us posted - I want to hear all about how this adventure goes for you! I'm still just so happy you rescued him!!!! :hugs

That's a good idea! Getting to the not chasing stage is what we're looking forward to. Interesting about differences in birds and your experience! I think when they're more timid or 'weak' the other ducks sense it- maybe prolongs their exclusivity. This poor guy just wants in the flock, and is so timid around them. We are happy we rescued him too- hopefully he warms up to us just the same : ) I will keep you posted- thanks again! : )

:goodpost:

like @CrystaBub said I would get another female(that will also help with the female to male ratio) so that he will not be lonely. Then you can acclimate the 2 ducks to the flock. So they can stick together and not be alone...cuz it might take a while.

like @CrystaBub said I would get another female(that will also help with the female to male ratio) so that he will not be lonely. Then you can acclimate the 2 ducks to the flock. So they can stick together and not be alone...cuz it might take a while.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, we really can't accommodate 4 ducks. He's not entirely alone- like he was when we rescued him. He's just not accepted yet- they tolerate his presence at a distance. I realize that's not ideal. With the winter weather coming, they'll be forced to be closer to each other.

We have layer pellets for the girls- is it ok to feed him this also? We mix in some cracked corn (because that's mostly all he wants and is used to when he was occasionally fed at the pond) and some oats. He wont eat meal worms! He literally left all the meal worms in his water dish. He's adjusting to different food, and I know how picky they can be. Just want to make sure I can get away with not buying separate pellet food for him. I'm not sure how I would keep it entirely separate anyway.

Layer isn't ideal for drakes it’s too high in calcium so mixing is a good idea. Why not when this bag is finished or even before buy an all flock feed mix it with your layer till gone then just feed the all flock and put oyster shell out for your girls. And listen your doing the integration perfect he’ll be accepted eventually it just takes time . Hoping soon he’ll be top man around there and those girls will be in love.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom