integrating new ducks into the pack.

mpammlisac

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2016
I have a 3 and a half month old pekin duck. I hatched her in an incubator. I bonded with a young leghorn rooster. I now have the two of them in with the rest of the ducks and chickens. The chickens appear to accept the young rooster but the other ducks do not seem to want the young duck. Her name is Sweet Pea. She appears to be so isolated. What can I do to intergrate her into the flock of ducks.

Have you tried giving them treats to bring them all together? When I add ducks to my flock I take treats out with me and add fresh water in the pools. I will sit out there and watch them and as time goes by they will forget the other duck is new... Hope that helps!

Everyone get meal worms every morning. She still stays on the fringe of the flock. I have 14 chickens to gineas, and 7 ducks. She doesn't put up with the chickens bothering her. The young rooster (Jeffery)stays in her area during the day. At night he sleeps on a perch along with the other chickens.

I also have a dominant female duck (Lillie) who nips at Sweet Pea. I'm wondering if the drake (Daffy) ignores her because she is too young for him to mate with him.

Back
Top Bottom