Integrating older duckling into new group.

Sparklecoon

Songster
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
North Carolina
My Holderreads order came in today (8'WH and 8IR). everyone arrived safe and sound. We have an older duckling who we rescued as a dumped baby the day after Easter. We let him in with the hatchlings tonight and all he wants to do is chase them around and nip at them.

Should I seperate him back out or let them establish some kind of order. He's larger but not excessively.

Amiga

Overrun with Runners
10 Years
Jan 3, 2010
Southern New England
Separate. They can seriously injure or kill if they don't settle down. I like keeping new introductions separated by a plastic poultry fence. They can see each other but cannot harm each other.

Sparklecoon

Songster
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
North Carolina
Just went to check on them and pull Leroy out and this is what I found. You can see Leroy ( rescue duck) at the back of the bunch. Should I still pull him out?

Amiga

Overrun with Runners
10 Years
Jan 3, 2010
Southern New England

I would separate them to be safe. Then supervise for a while. You may be able to let them back together soon but I would want to watch for a bit. Just kinda overprotective maybe. But I have seen some sad injuries. Do you have some plastic poultry fence so you can just divide the brooder and they can see each other?

Last edited:
Top Bottom