Integrating Question ?

Fluffy&Cutie

Songster
May 17, 2018
Los Angeles Basin
hello lovely chicken people! i have a newbie question...

Who do I put into the new coop first? The new silkie grow outs or the 25 week old leg horns that we have had since chicks?

I am trying to take into consideration their breed personalities as well as the fact as the older “siblings” will now have new sisters moving into their space, routine.

The leghorns have been living in a prefab coop/run. It’s adequate. However, to accommodate more chickens the exciting new run/coop is being built. (stupid chicken math):eek:

For the 30 day quarantine, I was thinking of putting the new grow out silkies in the big new coop so that they have less transition (from the farm to my home) and their milder personality will be less intimidated.

For the introduction time period I can move the leg horn coop/run next to the big and beautiful coop/run. Then finally integrate the two together.

Does this sound ok?

My other option is that the leg horns go into the fabulous new coop/run first and the new silkies go into the adequate coop/run so we can bond a little bit more (not so much room to run and hide and it is closer to where the family spends our outdoor time). The reason for getting these new gals is so my son can have a chicken he can hold and pet.

I’m sure I am making this mole hill into a mountain, but I just would like some expertise feedback. Thanks for everything!

I personally wouldn't be combining those breeds together. I would house them separately.

The leghorns can be flighty and loud, and the silkies are meek and can't always see well. You could end up with bullying or even the silkies being more skiddish because of all the leghorns moving about and making noise.

hello lovely chicken people! i have a newbie question...

Who do I put into the new coop first? The new silkie grow outs or the 25 week old leg horns that we have had since chicks?

I am trying to take into consideration their breed personalities as well as the fact as the older “siblings” will now have new sisters moving into their space, routine.

The leghorns have been living in a prefab coop/run. It’s adequate. However, to accommodate more chickens the exciting new run/coop is being built. (stupid chicken math):eek::cool:

For the 30 day quarantine, I was thinking of putting the new grow out silkies in the big new coop so that they have less transition (from the farm to my home) and their milder personality will be less intimidated.

For the introduction time period I can move the leg horn coop/run next to the big and beautiful coop/run. Then finally integrate the two together.

Does this sound ok?

My other option is that the leg horns go into the fabulous new coop/run first and the new silkies go into the adequate coop/run so we can bond a little bit more (not so much room to run and hide and it is closer to where the family spends our outdoor time). The reason for getting these new gals is so my son can have a chicken he can hold and pet.

I’m sure I am making this mole hill into a mountain, but I just would like some expertise feedback. Thanks for everything!
I would choose to house quarantine birds in a coop that isn't going to be used later rather than your brand new coop (I hope I've understood your intentions correctly)
I have small coop for quarantine that also gets used as a hospital but isn't lived in permanently. It's cleanable with a blow torch and portable.
Maybe make a small coop for quarantine while you're at it?:cool:

I would choose to house quarantine birds in a coop that isn't going to be used later rather than your brand new coop (I hope I've understood your intentions correctly)
I have small coop for quarantine that also gets used as a hospital but isn't lived in permanently. It's cleanable with a blow torch and portable.
Maybe make a small coop for quarantine while you're at it?:cool:

genius! of course. that makes so much more sense. they are going into quarantine, why would i spread germs in the main coop/run. thank you.

I personally wouldn't be combining those breeds together. I would house them separately.
The leghorns can be flighty and loud, and the silkies are meek and can't always see well. You could end up with bullying or even the silkies being more skiddish because of all the leghorns moving about and making noise.

i don t want to jinx myself here..so far, the leg horns that live with us are the opposite of how you described. I know the breed in general is as you say.
I've also heard that some silkies can have a napoleonic complex. but to keep things safe, after quarantine i ll keep the small coop and attach it to the new one. that way, if the silkies are being bullied, they'll have a safe space.

thanks for your great support. i can now make a better choice and feel confident in my decision. thanks again!

Sounds like a perfect plan, and backup plan. There are exceptions to every rule in chickens, so here’s hoping you have a fabulous mixed flock. I LOVE the personality of my leghorns, but one was really dominant to passive hens. I rehomed her and everything is great.

I agree with the temporary housing used for quarantine that’s what I do with horses. I quarantine a horse in an area that if I could never put a horse again, it would be fine.

When you mention “grow out” silkies what does this mean? What age are you getting the silkies?

Sounds like a perfect plan, and backup plan. There are exceptions to every rule in chickens, so here’s hoping you have a fabulous mixed flock. I LOVE the personality of my leghorns, but one was really dominant to passive hens. I rehomed her and everything is great.

I agree with the temporary housing used for quarantine that’s what I do with horses. I quarantine a horse in an area that if I could never put a horse again, it would be fine.

When you mention “grow out” silkies what does this mean? What age are you getting the silkies?

hi. I will be getting the silkies at about 4-5 months old. (born in june, sexed in sept/oct) trying to keep it hens only and silkies are supposed to be difficult to sex. around here the dna tested silkie pullets go for (you should sit down for this...) $250. yes, $250 for ONE pullet.
so, when the breeders, near me, can tell the gender of the silkie they are "grown out" at 5 months. and then they are half the price. (yes, $125).
many hatcheries dont sex silkies. such chicken drama.
thanks again for the great support.

The above link is a very good read.

I'd like to add another good read on the best way to properly quarantine that is a little more concise but the same information.
http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agric...ry/quarantine-advice-for-small-poultry-flocks
The section "Quarantine - the procedure" is must read info.
For those who take quarantine advice with a grain of salt, reading and taking to heart the information in the conclusion paragraph is important as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the articles. I m a germ a phobe so I can't wait to get more info how to keep the gals safe.
(Yesterday no one was permitted in the house with shoes...we went to an adventure park and they had chickens walking around. Cute - and germy. I washed all the shoes and clothes. There is vnc disease in so cal. I m not taking any chances!) Thanks again for the articles!

Back
Top Bottom