EggMan207

Chirping
Apr 24, 2017
So, I have 8 existing girls in a coop/run. I bought 8 more that are 6 weeks. I also bought a new coop. The last integration I did was really rough/violent. So, I had an idea.

What if, I put the new girls in the new coop until the are 14-16 weeks by themselves. Then, integrate the older ones 2 at a time (like two each day or every other day). Has anyone tried this? Will it cut down on the violence? I'm thinking maybe it would disrupt the "older girls" pecking order a little bit. I don't know. What's the best way to go about this?

Thoughts and feedback would be appreciated here

What I did was I got a little baby pen (for small humans) and I put the baby chicks in there every day. I let the older girls out to free range and see them. When they got old enough to live outside, my dad gave me the best present ever.. a new coop! When they were ready I put them in their coop. Still, to this day, maybe one or two months of living together they still fight sometimes. But there’s no blood involved. (Actually yeah there is... in my new batch I got a roo and one day he got in a fight with my very dominant hen, but my hen won and his comb was bleeding a little. He was so embarrassed and we agreed to just pretend that never happened ;) )

I suggest you set it up so they can all see but not touch each other for a month or so. If this is already the case, then 2 at a time might be the next step. I'm just doing one at a time. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom