ChickenGirl555

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 22, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
i am currently Outside with my chicks, the pullets are pecking around the run, but also coming over every now and then to peck the Littles. The Littles of just sitting in one place. I don’t know why they are doing this. 27350D95-9256-4A00-B80A-5F1FD6B7A73A.jpeg
The box isn’t working that well, the chicks are AFRAID of it. There’s no blood but I don’t feel safe letting them out alone with them. I’m actually getting pretty cold typing this on my phone, so I’m going to go inside (with the Littles) so please contact/reply ASAP. I need these chicks with the Pullets very soon

Last edited:
You can't rush integration. You need to setup a separate run next to the main run for the littles. And you need to be patient. It's all brand new for the chicks and it's normal for them to be fearful.
How long?? I don't have much time right now to work with them, but I have a dog cage I could put next to the run. Would that work? It's pretty big.

How long?? I don't have much time right now to work with them, but I have a dog cage I could put next to the run. Would that work? It's pretty big.
A dog cage will be fine. It will take at least a week living next door to each other for them to adjust to each other's presence. Might take longer. The point is to give the chicks security and safety while they are learning about flock dynamics.

Yep, that will do. Can you take it off the tray so they can peck at the grass? I do suggest that you expand that main run. It's pretty small for a flock with Barred Rocks. I know from experience that they really need a lot of elbow room and plenty to keep them occupied. Otherwise, they can become aggressive towards their flock mates.

Yep, that will do. Can you take it off the tray so they can peck at the grass? I do suggest that you expand that main run. It's pretty small for a flock with Barred Rocks. I know from experience that they really need a lot of elbow room and plenty to keep them occupied. Otherwise, they can become aggressive towards their flock mates.
I can’t expand the run, and my family DEFINETLY will not build another coop. If we have problems, we’ll probably end up getting rid of the Barred Rocks but right now, nobody is fighting and everything is peaceful.

Last edited:
Can you take it off the tray so they can peck at the grass?
Good idea...could put tray on top as rain shelter.

I'd put that crate right in the run.
Use some cardboard to block wind if needed, but leave at least on side uncovered.

Is this the first day you've had this setup?
You have so many threads it's hard to follow.

Yes @aart that was the first time I did that, and I now moved the cage inside the run of the Bigs. Sorry for the confusion, I'm slighting panicking constantly, as the name says.

Back
Top Bottom