Integration - What to Expect

I shall share my experiences.
I had a pretty simple integration, it worked really well though. This probably could've been done faster but I had a broody and didn't know how she would react to them.

7 week old chicks.

NOTE: chickens were all let out to free range together regularly, not separated, during integration

6th of May- chicks moving out! A part of the run was blocked off with a metal dog pen. It had holes big enough for chicks to stick heads through. It was near the adult drinker so that adult hens would have to go near the chick pen to drink, and get used to them. At night, the unused nesting boxes were blocked off for the chicks to sleep. They were taken out in the morning. This continued until.....

17th of May- sharing a run! The gate was opened but fence was still there for chicks to go back in (gate completely removed in 2 days). The chicks still slept separately.

21st of May- Sharing a coop! Chicks were still put inside the nesting boxes at night but the boxes weren't separated.

23rd of May- Official flock members! So proud of my chicks who went in the coop all by themselves! They still try to avoid the hens but they do not fight and live together well. Sometimes they do need a little peck from the older hens just to remind them who's boss.

Awesome info, thank you so much for sharing. Hoping this all goes well, these two little chicks are such sweethearts.

Back
Top Bottom