Integration - What to Expect

I can't tell you what to expect because this is my first rodeo, but what I absolutely didn't expect was for my Splits to spend so much time in their mini-coop-and-run when they have the big run to explore.

But it's very hot today so they may just be seeking shade.

Expect a bit of fighting near the beginning. If you see injury, intervene.
I was scared to see my babies fighting so I had to turn around. I saw that they weren't hurting eatchother and I watched them jumping and rolling around eachother, not even a peck. Until my dog came over to sniff them and they stopped fighting
Fries understood the weakest, smallest chick didn't wanna fight so they had a staring contest where they stood really tall and looked eachother in the eyes

One last question and it's been recommended in a few threads is start off by placing them in the coop at night and being there 1st thing in the morning in anticipation of any bullying. Has anyone done this with success? Or did you work your way up to them roosting together at night?
No, I don't like the idea of littles and bigs meeting eachother for the first time trapped in the coop.
By the time you get up something terrible might have happened.
Always start by letting them free range together, then separate the run and coop, then let them in the run together, then let them go in the coop together.

It varies so much. You’ll just have to play it by ear and keep an eye on them. Make sure there are multiple feeders and waterers, and places for the youngsters to escape the elders.
Good luck!
Can you give me some examples of obstacles that I can use please. I am drawing a blank and I need to find some to integrate my chickens.

Can you give me some examples of obstacles that I can use please. I am drawing a blank and I need to find some to integrate my chickens.

Out of sight of the aggressive chicken. So perhaps a box, crate, or a pallet leaned up against the run somewhere so the little pullets can run behind but it would be harder for the bigger hens to pursue. Maybe a big box with some openings that the pullets can fit through but harder for the bigger hens to fit. Maybe an extra roosting bar or two the little ones can jump on keeping them out of sight.

A pile of small branches make a good obstacle. Even one branch with a couple smaller ones coming out of it.

3KillerBs already linked the main thread that we like to use for examples, but some additional notes: you can pretty much use anything that's chicken safe for clutter (so yard junk is ideal) but just as important is the placement of clutter. The best placement of clutter will allow a chicken to walk around it, jump up on it, go under it, etc. To prevent chicks from being cornered, any obstacles against a wall should have extra openings cut out to give chicks an extra escape route.

Back
Top Bottom