Integration - What to Expect

How much pecking is too much? How long does this typically last?
There are different kinds of pecking. One is a "Leave me alone. It's bad chicken etiquette for social inferiors to bother their betters so go away". It usually doesn't take long for the young ones to learn to give the older ones room. That's the way it is supposed to work. That's why it is important for them to have enough room to run away and stay away.

The dangerous type of pecking is when the younger one is trapped or laying down. The older one is standing over them pecking, usually at the head. That's how chickens die. Even if they have a lot of room they might get trapped in a corner or against a fence or wall so there is always a risk, but I consider that pretty much a freak happening if they have a lot of room. I've never lost a chick to an adult from this but did lose a 15 week cockerel to another 15 week cockerel once.

With my flock this behavior lasts until they mature enough to join the pecking order. With my pullets that's usually when they start laying.

I can't tell you what to expect because this is my first rodeo, but what I absolutely didn't expect was for my Splits to spend so much time in their mini-coop-and-run when they have the big run to explore.

But it's very hot today so they may just be seeking shade.
I should respond on your thread but since you brought it up here.

That behavior is not strange at all. Some are bolder than others but they are prey animals, they can be really cautious. They are quite happy to stay someplace they feel comfortable until they build up the courage to go explore. I'm sure you've read on here where they stay pretty near the coop or run when you first start letting them free range but over time they go further.

One of my stories you've probably read before. When I open the pop door on the coop and give them their first access to the run, some groups are all on the ground within 15 minutes. Sometimes it's the third day before the first one hits the ground, and that one often goes back in the coop within a few minutes. But eventually they figure it out. For the slower ones it's hilarious watching a couple go to the pop door and look outside. At first they don't even stick their head outside but eventually will poke their head out to get a good look. Then decide not yet, and walk away.

Be patient. Let them work it out on their schedule. They will get there.

Last edited:
Be patient. Let them work it out on their schedule. They will get there.

Yes.

It just surprised me because they had had a pen almost half the size of this in their previous home and had spent the entire week previous trying to get out every time I attempted to change the water or give them feed. :D

It's 92 in the shade today.

How much pecking is too much? How long does this typically last? I know it looks and sounds worse than it really is but just want to get a good handle on it not going to far. I plan as mentioned in several threads to add some obstacles, places the smaller chicks can only get to, adding more food and water and I also plan on keeping the adjacent run and making an entrance to it only big enough for the younger girls to access/escape.
If chicks are being pecked to the point of injury, or being kept from eating or drinking, that's too much. Hens can be nasty for sure though. With my last group of chicks, one of my hens grabbed one and threw it a few feet while I was in the run - the chick got up and fled, uninjured, so I didn't intervene. They all learned to avoid her as soon as they spotted her so that was the important thing.

One thing to be careful with, due to the age of your chicks, is the sizing of chick only openings because your chicks are getting a bit big for that type of set up (which works best with chicks under 8 weeks old). If you have some smaller or thinner hens, they may be able to force their way into an opening meant for 8 week old chicks.

Expect a bit of fighting near the beginning. If you see injury, intervene.
I was scared to see my babies fighting so I had to turn around. I saw that they weren't hurting eatchother and I watched them jumping and rolling around eachother, not even a peck. Until my dog came over to sniff them and they stopped fighting
Fries understood the weakest, smallest chick didn't wanna fight so they had a staring contest where they stood really tall and looked eachother in the eyes

You've gotten great advice here.

I'll just add that chickens can be so mean! & that's normal. I had one integration where I ended up culling a mean girl & one that went great.

This last integration was pretty smooth, but still a bit hard to watch at times because, as I said, chickens are mean! There was chasing & pecking & not letting the littles near the food that lasted for weeks, but with tons of feeders & plenty of space it calmed down pretty quick. After a couple months they now roost together in the run & that's a success to me.

The first integration...ugh. The mean girl was relentless, she would pin the littles down & beat on them. She drew blood & pulled feathers. She would run all the way across the run (which is 1500 sf, so not small) to go after a little. I tried separating her, I tried pinless peepers, I tried everything & in the end I culled her for the peace of the flock & we're all happier for it.

So my advice is keep an eye on them, if there is blood drawn step in but do realize that there will be mean girl stuff happening & that's normal. Good luck!

I keep my littles in an adjacent pen for about three weeks. When when I open the gate and they start milling around together, they don't even seem to realize there is no separation. They are just one big happy family. No pecking, no chasing, no problems. About a week later I close the doors to their little coop/brooder so they have to roost with the big birds. Usually they roost on the floor for a while but eventually they find their way up to the actual roosts with not much trouble.

Great info everyone thanks so much! I am plan on starting this Friday evening and being I have a 3 day weekend I can spend more time keeping an eye on them.

One last question and it's been recommended in a few threads is start off by placing them in the coop at night and being there 1st thing in the morning in anticipation of any bullying. Has anyone done this with success? Or did you work your way up to them roosting together at night?

P.S. I had to google pinless peepers, am cracking up, never seen or heard of them........

I let my littles sleep in their own coop for a couple months, but lay eggs in the big coop. Then one day I closed it off & herded them into the big coop. All was well & they have gone into the big coop every night since. It worked well for my set up & I'd do it again that way next time.

Back
Top Bottom