Integration - What to Expect

I keep my littles in an adjacent pen for about three weeks. When when I open the gate and they start milling around together, they don't even seem to realize there is no separation. They are just one big happy family. No pecking, no chasing, no problems. About a week later I close the doors to their little coop/brooder so they have to roost with the big birds. Usually they roost on the floor for a while but eventually they find their way up to the actual roosts with not much trouble.
Sorry. I realized this was not very clear. They were in the house till about five or six weeks old. Then they went into the grow-out pen for about three weeks before opening the gate that separated them from the adults. By that time they were pretty good sized.

So, lots of ways to do it depending on your setup. Main thing is to provide hideouts for the littles that they can't get trapped in, and extra feeders and waterers, and keep an eye on things. You'll do fine! Good luck!

One last question and it's been recommended in a few threads is start off by placing them in the coop at night and being there 1st thing in the morning in anticipation of any bullying. Has anyone done this with success? Or did you work your way up to them roosting together at night?

I don't do the night time thing, because if anything severe were to happen, by the time you get up it'd be too late.

My chicks and adults meet outside in the run, where the chicks are brooded, for a couple of weeks, and then chicks begin getting access to the run a little at a time. When they're ready, the chicks choose to go into the coop with the adults, and that's when I feel comfortable leaving them together through the night.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/ - I have integration notes from my last 2 chick integrations on here, further down the article.

One last question and it's been recommended in a few threads is start off by placing them in the coop at night and being there 1st thing in the morning in anticipation of any bullying. Has anyone done this with success? Or did you work your way up to them roosting together at night?
No, I don't like the idea of littles and bigs meeting eachother for the first time trapped in the coop.
By the time you get up something terrible might have happened.
Always start by letting them free range together, then separate the run and coop, then let them in the run together, then let them go in the coop together.

They will always peck on the lil ones, from time to time, when they get in the older ones way, until theyre big enough to fend for them selves. I have 2 and 3 month old's running with 1 and 2 year old hens, right now, and I see all the time. Its not unusual, unless you see one bleeding, then just seperate it for a while, until it heals, then intergrate back in.

Just wanted to share a little update and progress. But first a little background.

About two weeks ago I moved the two pullets into an adjacent run with the three older hens where they can see and hear each other through some chicken wire. During those first few days a couple of times (intentionally and unintentionally) the pullets got out into the main run and it was hostile. They were quickly chased and pecked pretty darn good with some screaming involved. Didn't think my sweet buff orpington could be that mean, but boy was she ever. Just about everyday since they moved into that adjacent run I've put their favorite cracked corn down along the gate that separates them so they are practically face to face all eating together.

Starting last week, about 3 or 4 nights I had been letting the little girls out to free range with the bigger hens. I sprinkled in some cracked corn in attempt to get them to feed together. There was some chasing and pecking but not too terrible. The two pullets are scared to death of the bigger hens, as soon as one of them turns towards them, they are outta there, sometimes screaming for no reason, it's actually pretty funny. They are way faster than the buff orpington (Elsa). She seems to be the only one who really cares. My easter egger could care less, hasn't once tried to peck or chase them. My plymouth rock will chase a little but never closes in to peck, it's like the chase was enough for her, no need to peck, she is a sweetie.

This past long weekend despite the rain I spent a lot of time with them, letting them out to free range and interact with each other. And what an amazing difference I see. The chasing has pretty much all but stopped. Even when there is some chasing it not as nearly as aggressive as it was initially. I even had them all in the coop together (with the gate open) several times and it was completely different. The older hens went about their business for most part, if they chased it was a few steps just kinda to make sure the younger pullets were knowing their place and getting out of their way. What a difference, this being my first time owning chickens and doing an integration like this I was really nervous about what I saw with their first few interactions but I am feeling so much better about all this and I can see them all getting along at some point.

I plan on keeping them separated for a bit longer just because I can and will continue to do what I am doing so they get a little bigger.

Really some great advice on this forum and without a doubt keeping them separated but being able to see each other I truly believe has made a HUGE difference. It really seemed to have diffused the aggression.

It varies so much. You’ll just have to play it by ear and keep an eye on them. Make sure there are multiple feeders and waterers, and places for the youngsters to escape the elders.
Good luck!
Can you give me some examples of obstacles that I can use please. I am drawing a blank and I need to find some to integrate my chickens.

Can you give me some examples of obstacles that I can use please. I am drawing a blank and I need to find some to integrate my chickens.

Out of sight of the aggressive chicken. So perhaps a box, crate, or a pallet leaned up against the run somewhere so the little pullets can run behind but it would be harder for the bigger hens to pursue. Maybe a big box with some openings that the pullets can fit through but harder for the bigger hens to fit. Maybe an extra roosting bar or two the little ones can jump on keeping them out of sight.

A pile of small branches make a good obstacle. Even one branch with a couple smaller ones coming out of it.

Back
Top Bottom