I think that most poultry have a problem with fences, and most birds have a problem with semitransparent barriers, like glass and wire. Our guineas are famously dumb about flying into the dog yard and being unable to fly out. I just don’t think that they have the abstract thinking skills to visualize going over the barrier that they can see through. They seem to fly more as an escape mechanism on instinct, so I have a beagle that is perfect for getting them unstuck over the fence. The Doberman though might catch one so is never used for that purpose! After being caught by the Doberman and rescued by me, now the flock is quite wary about entering the dog fence at all. I had a hummingbird enter the guinea run, which is covered in wire. That hummingbird was unable to do anything but try to fly up through the wire; it didn’t understand the door it had just flown through at all and was a real challenge to catch. I’ve had parrots, and they are probably far better than other birds at abstract thinking so might understand these bizarre fences and doors much faster...

Also, I have one guinea that I think is particularly smart, but she is shunned by the main group! She was the most difficult to train to herd as she figured out quickly that if she flew up, she could opt out of going where I wanted her. She also figured out where I could and couldn’t reach with my herding stick, and that she was out of my reach in certain areas. She was not flighty, just would calmly ignore me. Gentle persistence was my only saving grace in training her. I’ve also never seen her trap herself in the dog yard, and she escaped a bobcat attack that took her best buddy. She’s a bird that I hope I have babies from!

Fascinating subject I think. It's what got me obsessed with chicken behavior; why do they do that?
There have been some interesting studies regarding bird intelligence and in particular chickens.
https://www.mdpi.com/2076-328X/8/1/13/htm
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10071-016-1064-4
are just a couple of examples of mainly summaries of various studies.
Intelligence is a very difficult thing to define. There is still no satisfactory test to test it in humans.
The problem is as is often the case the definition is based on human abilities. Other creatures have different demands and different skill sets suitable for solving problem they encounter in their environment.

Back
Top Bottom