Interested in breeding. Need advice.

TajMaChicken

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Hernando, MS
Hey BYC! I need your help! I have totally caught the chicken addiction. I started keeping chickens two years ago. I currently have 2 EE's, a Welsummer, a BO, a Delaware, and a White Rock. I really want to try getting some chicks and raising some to breed. I have really been looking at Black Cooper Marans. They seem to be difficult to find. I live North MS. Does anyone raise good pedigree Black Copper Marans near by or would ship chicks to me? I would also appreciate any tips or advice from anyone who breeds. We are currently looking for a new home with lots more land. I have already told my darling to be prepared, more room means more sweet chickens.....and probably some goats....and maybe some horses....and maybe some more ducks.....oh and geese! LOL! Then I told him I would start a petting zoo so my animal addiction could produce income! I think he rolled his eyes!

But in all seriousiness I am really wanting any tips or advice on starting a breeding flock. If I can't get BCM, what would be a good breed for me to try my hand at breeding. I realize this is a responsibility to improve on and maintain a breed standard. I really enjoy the unique heritage breeds, but definitely want a good tempered breed. So throw it at me BYC! I will be a sponge to any and all info you can provide.

Thanks Ya'll!!

Last edited:
Storey's Guide To Raising Chickens says that this is a good gameplan for breeding (you should purchase the book if you don't already have it; it has great info for people learning to breed).

-Begin with the best birds available.
-Establish a long-range goal.
-Make deliberate matings to meet that goal.
-Keep meticulous breeding record.
-Mark chicks to track their parentage.
-CULL RUTHLESSLY.

As for the Marans, I'm in a rush so will let others tell you about that...

welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Thanks! I will definitely pick that book up. I was in the book store yesterday and flipped through several I saw and none mentioned breeding. I appreciate your help!

Quote:
Sure! It's really great, a whole chapter on breeding and another on showing. Plus, it has the best overall information than any chicken book I have (and I have lot!). That means a lot of big words.
lol.png

The most important book to have (to a breeder) is the APA Standard of Perfection book. It is a must for serious breeders.

First thing you have to decide is what breed you are interested in, and then go from there.

Quote:
I can't help you with the BCMs - just wanted to say I applaud your attitude regarding breeding. Kathyinmo is 100% correct - the SOP is a must!

Thanks! I was wondering what SOP meant in some threads. I will look for that as well.

I love this forum! BYC is awesome!

just wanted to say I applaud your attitude regarding breeding

Thanks! This is whay I appreciate any help or advice because I don't want to do something if I am not going to do it to the best of my ability. Keep the advice coming! Thanks Again!​

Quote:
Thanks! This is whay I appreciate any help or advice because I don't want to do something if I am not going to do it to the best of my ability. Keep the advice coming! Thanks Again!

For Large Fowl, you will want the APA Standard of Perfection. For Bantams, it's the ABA Bantam Standard, but both are referred to as "SOP".

I am also interested in BCMs bred to SOP. I have been following this thread and I am under the impression that these birds are not yet an accepted standard breed for APA .

Be that as it may, I expect it will become a standard breed eventually. In the meantime one could breed to the proposed SOP. But I am only interested in breeding, selling eggs, and hatching. I am not interested in showing. Is this practical? How negative would it be to raise show quality birds without showing them?

So, back to the original question -- where can Southerners (MS, TX) get good quality Black Copper Marans breeders?

I dont think it would be negative at all to breed show quality and not show. I would like to breed the best and even if I didn't show them (which I don't even know of any shows anywhere near my little Redneckville) if people wanted my hatching eggs or chicks, they could get show quality birds. I would think just because you don't show doesn't mean you would want to disregard the quality of the birds. You might keep a flock for those beautiful eggs, but focus on breeding the best quality.

I a really getting excited about getting a flock started. And Chicken.lytle if I find someone close to our area I will definitely let you know...so far no luck though.

Back
Top Bottom