Interested in getting a small flock started.

dustponds10

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Rigby, Id
Hey all I am interested in getting a flock started. Just a small flock. I need reasonable ideas for a coop for them. I have a barn but want to have something that they can fly into and I can lock down. Any help is great

Have you looked into a mobile chick- Shaw? It’s pretty cool. Make sure you find a good place to get chicks such as a hatchery or a really known breeder so you don’t end up with any sick or problematic chicks.

Last edited:
Have you looked into a mobile chick- Shaw? It’s pretty cool. Make sure you find a good place to get chicks such as a hatchery or a really known breeder like GFF (Green Fire Farms) so you don’t end up with any sick or problematic chicks.
I wasn’t aware there was a hatchery for pigeons. I have a friend that has some but I’m looking more into housing right now.

Hey all I am interested in getting a flock started. Just a small flock. I need reasonable ideas for a coop for them. I have a barn but want to have something that they can fly into and I can lock down. Any help is great
How exciting! You won't regret it.

As far as housing, do what you like. Just remember, lots of ventilation, keep it dry, and build it bigger than you might think. Pigeons are addicting.

As far as pigeon hatcheries, the only hatchery that sells pigeons is Strombergs, but they are way over priced.

Good luck!

How exciting! You won't regret it.

As far as housing, do what you like. Just remember, lots of ventilation, keep it dry, and build it bigger than you might think. Pigeons are addicting.

As far as pigeon hatcheries, the only hatchery that sells pigeons is Strombergs, but they are way over priced.

Good luck!
Thanks, looking for homing pigeons. I have a barn area that is 12x 40’ but I have my chickens in pens in that area. Would that be ok to put them in there also as long as there is a small box for nesting?

hi there, if you are looking to have the birds flying for you you'll need to start with either breeding stock or young birds about 5-6 weeks old. The breeding stock, you'll keep till you have enough flying for you, then sell them on. The breeders will never fly for you. If you go with the youngsters you'll have homing birds quicker. You could go for a mixture of both. Lots of breeding advice here on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom