interested in rabbit breeding, opinions wanted.

FunkyFaith

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2015
I have been thinking about breeding rabbits as a hobby. But I am wondering, what do people want? Do pet rabbits or meat rabbits sell better? Should I do crosses or purebred? I'd like to do crosses, but I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of mutts no one is interested in. What are some nice crosses that create pretty and friendly rabbits? Are people now a days interested in mini breeds? What's nore popular, lop or upright ears? If I do this, I want to go in knowing what I plan to do and I want it to be organised and worth it. I'm not truly looking for profit, because in not sure if there is much in this. But if there is that'd be nice. I want to do this right and be responsible.

There are some rabbit people here too who just don't want another site to keep up with.

First, I've had way more fun with breeding rabbits than I thought I would when my DH proposed starting with some meat rabbits. I truly enjoy it, but it's something to ask the questions you're asking before starting. Our initial purpose was meat for our family. I started researching breeds with that in mind--a large commercial type. But I did also want the option of selling too. There are many breeds that work both meat and pets--I settled on Silver Fox as mine. I will say that since starting 8 months ago I've sold equal numbers for pets or as breeders, and haven't managed any meat for us yet.

Profit--I haven't recouped my initial investment in cages yet, but have made enough to cover the breeding stock and food.

I would start by learning what's available in your area. You want to be able to find stock, but not try to sell into a full market. Fair time is soon, and you might find some info there.

I've been into breeding rabbits for a few years and it seems to me Im sticking with the bigger meat breeds it's hard to get rid of the smaller rabbits around here. With lionheads the hardest thing to sell. But my favorite are my giant chinchillas.

Years ago, I raised rabbits. I had New Zealands. I raised them for our own use. When I had more than we needed, I just put a rabbits for sale sign by the road and some cards on various bulletin boards in town, like at the grocery store and the feed store and I was able to sell all the rabbits i wanted to sell.

Back
Top Bottom