interested in Red jungle fowl

No I wasn't just going to let them go and forget about them. I was just looking to have chickens that are more wild and self reliant than your average layers. And less susceptible to predictors ect. I'm not looking to cause chickens harm or anything. But chickens did come from the wild so there has to be a more wild bird out there. That's why I was interested in red jungle fowl. Because if you look at some vids of them in the wild there is multiple roos foraging together and they seem to be doing fine together. And study's have shown that some groups of red jungle fowl roosters do fine with each other. The farm we bought are rooster from had more roosters than hens. And there was no over breeding issues or fights. Sorry if I offended someone. I have had layers and meat birds for over 6years and we'll aware what care they need to survive.
I think it really depends on what you’re actually after. If it’s just free range birds that you don’t mind putting some care into, will sleep in the trees and are just generally smarter at staying alive gamefowl is a good choice. The obvious issue of roosters fighting is real and depending on how many birds you want to keep loose you may not need more than 1 rooster anyway.
“Wild population” isn’t going to happen. They’re domesticated and will still look to you for feed, and shelter during weather extremes.
I have a lot of chickens, electric fences, coops, pens etc.. and still keep many birds free range. All birds are raised free range.
While they’ll run loose and sleep in the trees they also go in my shed, hangout on my deck, the roof etc..

Look up bowery breed in the byc search bar. You will see that he has perfected a chicken breed to be as self reliant as possible. Not saying I'M going to do this foreshore but just for thoughts.

I think it really depends on what you’re actually after. If it’s just free range birds that you don’t mind putting some care into, will sleep in the trees and are just generally smarter at staying alive gamefowl is a good choice. The obvious issue of roosters fighting is real and depending on how many birds you want to keep loose you may not need more than 1 rooster anyway.
“Wild population” isn’t going to happen. They’re domesticated and will still look to you for feed, and shelter during weather extremes.
I have a lot of chickens, electric fences, coops, pens etc.. and still keep many birds free range. All birds are raised free range.
While they’ll run loose and sleep in the trees they also go in my shed, hangout on my deck, the roof etc..
That's nice to hear. I used to free range my layers but they made a mess on my pavement and garden so had to pen them up .

Look up bowery breed in the byc search bar. You will see that he has perfected a chicken breed to be as self reliant as possible. Not saying I'M going to do this foreshore but just for thoughts.
I don’t even have to look it up. Gamefowl are the King of free ranging hands down and it’s not even close. The issue is the males have to be separate. If you can deal with keeping roosters separate then go for it. If you can’t then I’d get something else because it will lead to headache after headache.
Any chicken can and will tear up a garden if it isn’t fenced off if they find something they want.
I’m starting to think you have unrealistic expectations. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I don’t even have to look it up. Gamefowl are the King of free ranging hands down and it’s not even close. The issue is the males have to be separate. If you can deal with keeping roosters separate then go for it. If you can’t then I’d get something else because it will lead to headache after headache.
Any chicken can and will tear up a garden if it isn’t fenced off if they find something they want.
I’m starting to think you have unrealistic expectations. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Ok thanks i expect them to get into the flower beds /garden but I had many layer and meat birds and the damage was over powering . My game batams have been free ranging for 6 months and have never attempted to get in . but thanks I will look this though before I make any moves.

Seriously? Wading through the contradictory and convoluted information given by the OP all while slogging through the grammatical, spelling, and additional errors in the posts. It is evident that they haven't researched Red Junglefowl and their needs but expect to find "pur" ones that they can turn loose in an area where winter will prevent a feral chicken population from expanding. I could go on, but that would require going back and trying to re-read the four pages and my head is still hurting from straining/forcing myself through it the first time.

Seriously? Wading through the contradictory and convoluted information given by the OP all while slogging through the grammatical, spelling, and additional errors in the posts. It is evident that they haven't researched Red Junglefowl and their needs but expect to find "pur" ones that they can turn loose in an area where winter will prevent a feral chicken population from expanding. I could go on, but that would require going back and trying to re-read the four pages and my head is still hurting from straining/forcing myself through it the first time.
So you’re posting just to criticize the guy about how much he doesn’t know and make fun of his spelling?

Back
Top Bottom